Options

How to clean the exterior of the T@B -- the products I use

VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

First I spray the exterior with clear water. Then, if there are any of those black streaks, I generously spray them with full strength Awesome, a product I found at the Dollar Tree store.  (It comes in a spray bottle and in a refill bottle, too.) Then rub the area with a car washing sponge, rinse and chuckle because it was so easy!  I wasted money on the Camcorder Black Streak Remover because it really didn't work. Awesome is....just Awesome!  It takes bug splatters and tar off easily, too. 

For the rest of the washing, I use Camco's RV Wash & Wax. Read directions, add to a bucket of water, and I mostly use a long handled RV brush for the hard to reach high areas and a soft 18" brush for the rest, although I will use a sponge if it's warmer than yesterday!  This product cleans well, puts a light wax coat on and I've been happy with the product through two teardrops and the T@B. 

NuFinish is what I use to wax the entire T@B. Since I spend my winters in Arizona with heat and sand, I try to make sure I wax it before I go to AZ after Christmas. And then I do wash and wax it well after I get back home in the spring. 

And I use the same tire shine on my tires as I use on the truck....I didn't check which name brand I use. 

I washed the T@B yesterday, and then put the cover on the T@B so I won't have to wash her Again this year. I 'll wax her this next week when the temps go back up a bit. 
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Head this way, I'll pull the cover off! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    Head this way, I'll pull the cover off! ;)
    NO!  It was the first time I've put it on, and it was a learning lesson!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    With a T@B, it's a learning curve! I found it's easier, if by myself, to start in the back, and work forward, bring ladder, will travel! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    I did get to finally use that RV telescoping ladder that I splurged on. I'll try starting at the rear next time. The directions said the front and that was a challenge. Thanks for the advice. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    Okay, I may be chastised for this admission, but this has worked for us beautifully so far: a little squirt of dishwashing liquid into a bucket of warm water, telescoping brush to soap up the Tabby, and then just rinse it out with clean water. Done and sparkling! We do also use some biodegradable glass cleaner ("Method") to polish the windows.
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    @Machak88, if it works for you, keep doing it. You see, the subject line applies to all who post. There is not just one way to clean a T@B ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    mbwittmanmbwittman Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for all the ideas!
  • Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    I use whatever car wash soap I happen to have which is Meguiars right now, and a garden hose. I use an telescoping pole with a soft brush or window wash pad for the top areas and a micro fiber sponge on everything else.  On the windows I wipe them gently in one direction with micro fiber, one time then rinse.  Then quickly dry everything with old towels to prevent spotting. I wax with a marine wax but probably most anything would work. Then I store with the cover on.
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2017
    I've had good luck with the yellow Meguiar's car wash/wax too and it does a nice job on the T@B.  If I could just get the birds eating the berries from my neighbor's mulberry tree to use a different flight path I'd be all set!  smilio7gif     food-smiley-024gif
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    What can I use to get the small scratches out of the black plastic propane box? I have tried to rub them out with a scratch remover product but the scratches are kind of deep. Should I try an electric buffer?

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,498
    edited July 2017
    @gbell I suspect a buffer would only add to the scratches since the box is plastic of some kind. You could always fill in the scratches with black nail polish. I do this on our bicycles.

@Michigan_Mike we now use the Meguire's wash/wax on our T@b, too. DH also washes the cars with it and a week or so ago a lady stopped me in a parking lot with the same model car and asked if I liked the new model, meaning mine. I told her it's a 2015, but thanks! Made DH's day I think! It's great stuff, and our cars have never looked better.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    To dry mine, I bought a large shammy cloth. It works GREAT!!! Just wipe 'till it gets saturated, wring out & keep dryin'. No water spots, happy trailer! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    JVannJVann Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2018
    @Verna, How do you clean your windows?  I have looked at microfiber window cloths and am considering purchasing.  Thanks.
    JVann   2018 Silver with Blue Trim T@B 320 CS-S towed by a Red 2012 Ford Escape with factory tow package.  
  • Options
    ObiruObiru Member Posts: 25
    Machak88 said:
    Okay, I may be chastised for this admission, but this has worked for us beautifully so far: a little squirt of dishwashing liquid into a bucket of warm water, telescoping brush to soap up the Tabby, and then just rinse it out with clean water. Done and sparkling! We do also use some biodegradable glass cleaner ("Method") to polish the windows.
    It really doesn't take harsh dishwashing liquid to clean the T@B. Milder soap is better especially for all the rubber that is exposed.