Options

Rear View Camera for T@B and Tow Vehicle - Completed!

AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
edited November 2016 in Modifications & Upgrades
Reasons:
  1. I generally am a solo camper, so there's usually nobody to help me back into spaces.
  2. Backing into my driveway is also quite difficult as I have to miss front yard fencing.
  3. Driving would be easier and safer if I could see what's behind me.
  4. I'd like to be able to, in the future by purchasing a second monitor for inside the T@B, be able to look behind or in front of the trailer when I'm camping and hear a noise I'd like to investigate. I have no front or rear window. (or figure out a periscope!)

My goal is to use 2 cameras, one that is on the rear of my car, and the other that's on the rear of my T@B.

I purchased a wireless camera package, and an extra camera (total was around $80). The display allows for two inputs.

I've successfully wired the camera to my car's 12V supply, installed the camera on my trunk, and installed the display on my dashboard. I've also tested to make sure the second camera (wireless) works. The only thing left, is to figure out where to mount the camera on the rear of the T@B. Most of the RV's and trucks have this mounted at the top rear edge of their vehicles.

Here are my three options:

1. I could mount it on the bumper and use the license plate light for 12V, but this doesn't give me a good spot inside the trailer for the wireless portion of equipment. I know there's space behind the black plastic area, just not sure how to access it. If anyone knows how I could access this area, please let me know.

2. I could mount it in the middle of the T@B logo, or somewhere where I could do the wiring inside my rear cabinets and probably use the 12V line for the lights and add an illuminated on/off switch.

3. I could mount it at the rear of the fan, and use the fan 12V line, adding an illuminated on/off switch. Not at all sure where I would keep the wiring bundle and transmitter though

Opinions please :-)
2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
Seattle, WA

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    I have a wireless Costco rear view camera mounted to my Outback rack. A small 12V battery supplies the power. My TV has a factory backup camera (zero help with TAB hitched). The Costco camera helps, but lacks in resolution when in the woods (the grass blends into the bush which blends into the tree - just a big green and brown mass in the monitor). I would have gladly spent twice as much for better resolution. I realize this ranting didn't answer your question, but I feel better already.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    @OutbackAZ - I'm glad you feel better. I feel better too since the camera has wonderful resolution - if I can figure out how to mount it! Sometimes you just gotta rant... ;)
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    My camera is 56" from the ground. For me, a perfect height for catching the surrounding area. I would suggest using some "weak" double-sided tape and placing the camera in several locations to find your sweet spot.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited November 2016
    What type of mount does your camera use?
    Do you only want it for backing up or would you use it as full-time rearview camera?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    What type of mount does your camera use?
    Do you only want it for backing up or would you use it as full-time rearview camera?
    It is screw mounted, with ability to set whatever angle of viewing I want. I want it both for backing up and for checking behind me prior to lane changing. It is the 12V connection that has me stuck, since I can easily screw it in any of the 3 locations.
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    OutbackAZ said:
    My camera is 56" from the ground. For me, a perfect height for catching the surrounding area. I would suggest using some "weak" double-sided tape and placing the camera in several locations to find your sweet spot.
    So yours is not bumper level, but almost 5' off the ground, so maybe this would suggest rear cabinet height. It would be easiest to get electrical there. Or in my rear cabinet below my new cargo nets, that would be even better for interior wiring, just not sure how high up. Will take some measurements based off windows.
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    edited November 2016

If your unit looks like the photo I think the simplest location would be the top of the lip over the license plate or section above that.
    You can access this space by removing the back shelf on a Max S. I assume your setup is similar. 
    If you drive with your TV lights on you can splice into the license plate light or running lights to trigger power to transmitter and camera.
    There is plenty of space to mount the transmitter too.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    @TabberJohn - Yes, the photo matches mine exactly.

I don't have a back shelf, but rather have a hinged horizontal piece of wood that spans across the back. When I look in it, I do see a bundle of wires on the left and right, heading to the tail lights. It's a fully wood-lined compartment. I do drive with TV lights on, and it's how I wired my car camera and display (has an on/off switch).

I'll test this location with test leads and see what the view is and send a photo of what this looks like from the interior. If this location is good, and since your shelf is removable, perhaps my rear wall is also removeable - I will look for screws. It would be nice to leave the wall intact if possible and put wiring and transmitter between the plastic rear bumper and interior wood panel. 
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    Jill, I want to do the same thing for all the same reasons.   What model camera package did you purchase? 
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    edited November 2016

The shelf or compartment should be removable in some fashion.  With the Max S it is a matter of --
    1. remove screws holding the shelf down, lift up the shelf and set aside
    2. remove screws holding the middle brace, remove brace and set aside
    3. there is a reflective foam board taped to the shelf backboard that reflects heat from the Alde radiator; carefully separate tape that from wood backboard and set aside
    4. remove screws holding the shelf backboard on either side, lift out backboard and set aside

Now you should have access to back of T@B including wiring to the tail lights, license plate light, and running lights down either side. 

• Options
    Smullis7 said:
    Jill, I want to do the same thing for all the same reasons.   What model camera package did you purchase? 
    Here's the camera (that I hard wired into Video Jack 1 of the display):

Esky EC170-06 HD Color CCD Waterproof Car Rear View Backup Camera, 0.86X0.65X0.50-inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GSFIJS6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_35GkybCJMJ6M4

And here's the monitor (mounted in car) with two video inputs, and the camera (will be mounted to T@B) and wireless transmitter and receiver:

Camecho RC 12V 24V Car Vehicle Rear View Wireless IR Night Vision Backup Camera Waterproof Kit + 7" TFT LCD Monitor Parking Assistance System For Truck / Van / Caravan / Trailers / Camper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M979UL2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_i8GkybTCYHPFY

So far in testing, the best location was up higher, gives a much better view of rear than the bumper location, and am doing wiring inside upper cabinets. I drilled a hole in the center cabinet up as high as possible, and wouldn't you know the hole wound up very close to the @ in the T@B decal. Perfect!

The Night Vision does make the color a little bland, but I thought since there are no back up lights on the trailer, this would make backing up in the dark safer.

Once I finish will post photos of everything, including how each camera looks and the views so you can see if you like it. The display has several mounting choices too, and one is the black frame that it snaps into - perfect for mounting inside the trailer if I want to add another monitor inside the trailer for surveillance  ;)
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Thanks, Jill.  I look forward to seeing how it all turns out!  I like the idea of an inside monitor as well.  I spend most of my time boon docking in the mountains, and it would be nice to know if there is a mountain lion...or crazy person...behind the camper before I jump out.  :-)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Or a zombie! Or a lost camper with bunny slippers and skivvies!!!! *gasp* The horror!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I camp so many places I'd need them everywhere if I needed to look for criters - Most big criters scatter if you make sound. Rattlesnakes under the T@B, not so much :-(
  • Options
    edited December 2016

I went with a flush-mount camera tucked under the lip by the plate, but an adjustable mount camera higher up and further back might display more surroundings when backing up and show more side traffic while driving.

Decided IR LEDs were not needed since this camera has a Sony CCD with .01 lux. Plus one rule for happy camping is "Get there before dark!". :s  
    We also team up (spotter) if we have to nightcrawl into a backup site. Solo would be tougher but certainly doable with this camera.

An advantage to this style camera is the one small hole you drill in the outer shell (no RCA plug to pass thru, no bracket to mount).
    Transmitter is hidden, held by Velcro, and only turns on when T@B running lights are on.
    There is a 7" monitor that clips onto the rearview mirror. It fits in the glove compartment when not in use. Monitor connects/disconnects at top of windshield to a wire hidden in the trim. At other end of that wire is the 12v receptacle receiver which stores in armrest compartment when not in use.

• Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    PXLated said:
    I camp so many places I'd need them everywhere if I needed to look for criters - Most big criters scatter if you make sound. Rattlesnakes under the T@B, not so much :-(
    I so did NOT need that image in my head.  I can just see a new movie....Snakes on a T@B.
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Finally it stopped raining long enough for me to finish.
    @Smullis7

Here are final photos:

Back of T@B (night vision)

Back of Car  (regular camera)

View of back of car via monitor (wired):

View of back of T@B via monitor (wireless, night vision):

Interior wiring route, through center cabinet:

Into right cabinet:

Transmitter has a blue LED:

It's spliced into the 12V sconce lighting wire. I mounted an external switch so that I can see when this is turned on, so I don't leave it running after I've stopped. The current draw (measured via my Trimetric) for the night vision camera and switch with light, is 0.10 A (one tenth of an Amp). (It's 0.01A more than the LP detector, which is 0.09A.)

Trunk bundle showing receiver (need to clean this up)

For scale:

And it comes with a remote! So in theory, you could mount one in the T@B, and laying down, remotely check on both cameras!

Things I would do differently:

1. Get a different toggle lit switch with longer posts. The rear cabinet is really thick, and it didn't reach through the hole and I had to solder wire extensions. Should have measured cabinet width before buying switch.

2. I wish I would have thought of the magnet idea before I drilled two mounting holes in my trunk.

Things I would do again:

1. The monitor has an on/off switch, and a line that turns it on when you start the car (or turn on lights, or put into reverse, depending how you wire it). I wired mine to the running lights, and since I drive with those on, it turns on when I first start my car, then once I'm done, I push button to turn off.

2. The camera on the car is insanely tiny and fabulous. Can't believe it was only $20. But it was hard to mount into my car trunk edge (I suspect most folks mount on a plastic surface vs metal). For now I have it glued to a magnet. It doesn't budge.

3. The night vision has less vivid colors than than the regular camera, which is totally normal, time will tell if I miss the real colors or if I really love the ability to see in the dark, which it does. (I'll try to remember to send a night picture tonight). When you look at the T@B camera at night, it has this array of glowing red LED's for the night vision. Way cool.

4. The combination of wireless for trailer, and wired for car, with a monitor with two video inputs is totally perfect, and beyond what I even imagined was possible.

5. Adding a switch with a light to the interior worked very well, although there is a light on the transmitter so if you put this somewhere visible, you don't need the light. If you wire the camera to the trailer signal/running lights, you wouldn't need a switch.

6. Wiring the T@B into the light 12V circuit (vs to the running lights) was part of my original hope, so that if I decide to add an additional monitor, I can run this vision system while I'm in the trailer camping. I am going to work on seeing how hard it would be to take the monitor/receiver in and out of the car and put in the trailer.

Happy to answer any questions!

This should make hitching the T@B, driving and changing lanes, and backing into camp spots SOOOOO MUCH EASIER for a solo camper :-)

And as always, much gratitude for the forum's help and encouragement!

Seattle, WA
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    Nice work! I'd love to see a night vision image when you have time to post it. Very good idea even if you're not solo camping.
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    Thanks for the update!  

• Options
    @marknjudy
    as requested, here's the night vision

Please let me know if you want any other images or have questions
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    Wow! Great resolution!
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Lookin good. Let us know how it all works out in the field.
    My experience in the driveway (steady and clear) is a lot different than on the road (uneven performance).
    Not sure if the cause is general RF interference on the inexpensive 2.4Ghz transmitter/receiver or whether shielding is required on all wiring.
    In my case you can forget about a usable image when you drive near power lines or a big rig running RF of their own passes you.
    My setup was also around $100. The FURRION unit TACOMAGUY is using is closer to $400 but it's plug-and-play with built-in 5Ghz digital transmitter/receiver and no wiring other than power source. Of course the 100 ft range is bit overkill. ;)
    Wish there was a side-by-side review website that tested wireless cameras in the field under various conditions.
    My setup looked great in the driveway during the install but interference occurs irregularly when traveling. Still very usable but annoying sometimes.
    I turned off the backup guidelines as I found them distracting while driving.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I shall make a point of doing some highway test-driving before my big trip to T@BAzona and report back. I'm going to our local Squire Creek Campground meet up in 2 1/2 weeks, so I'll be able to see what the field performance of the wireless camera is. I wonder if I drove close to another RV with the same system if I would suddenly see what's in their camera or vice versa  :o

Seattle, WA
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    That's an awesome setup Jill!  Now my T.V.'s built in rear view camera just doesn't cut it anymore! :o
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
     =) I'm on a mod roll!
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    JltabJltab Member Posts: 89
    Jill, I'm planning to do the same mods, how did you determine the + and the - on the wire that power the LED lights?
    2016 T@B Maxx S, Nissan Pathfinder
  • Options
    Jltab said:
    Jill, I'm planning to do the same mods, how did you determine the + and the - on the wire that power the LED lights?
    I always use a multimeter to test for positive and negative.
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    @AldebaranJill  I've bought the same system you installed.  Planning on mounting it almost identically.  When you drilled the hole through the cabinet, did you use a grommet in the opening (I would imagine not given how small it would be) and did you seal it afterwards?  If so, what did you use?
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    I drilled a hole just big enough to push those larger red and yellow jacks through. Then I added automotive cable shroud (that black tubing that is slit on a side). Then I wraped that in electrical tape. Then as a last step I added Goop. Then on the inside I smooshed a bunch of putty into the hole. I have close ups on my phone but if I upload they will be big (not at my computer) - can I send them to you in private message?
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Sent you photos, feel free to resize and post here. Just not at my computer to resize. Also I put putty into the two mounting holes before I screwed them down. Put some Goop over the top of that too.
    Seattle, WA