Options

Rear View Camera for T@B and Tow Vehicle - Completed!

Comments

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited January 2017
    I got a similar response back from the transmitter/receiver provider as AdlebaranJill did. That was - try repositioning the devices (not very practical), try shielding all cables (transmitter, receiver, camera - haven't tried that and not sure how), try disabling WiFi and Bluetooth in the TV (not practical at all). 
    The 2.4 Ghz kits are typically rated at 65 ft while the 5.0 "digital" kits are rated at 100 ft.
    From the very back of the T@B to the receiver isn't anywhere near 65 ft. Moving the transmitter had little effect in my tests.
    Marketing info for the digital kits mentions "no more interference problems". Those kits are $100-$200 more than what we spent.
    I don't know the technical explanation of why digital is better, but this may all boil down to "you get what you pay for".
    I'd be curious to know if the Furrion kit that @TACOMAGUY or @Smullis7 installed has any intermittent issues at all while towing.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    It was the opinion of the EE that 5GHz would be even more suspectible to interference, but your point about you get what you pay for is valid. The transmitter/receiver portion seems to be between $20ish of the whole $65 cost, with the camera being $20 and the monitor being $25 (approximate).

But if running a hard wire indeed solves the issue, then that's a $10 fix, excluding the joy of crawling under the trailer in the rain. The seller has replied they are sending me a new transmitter, a new receiver, and a refund to cover the cost of the cable. 
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I suspect the problem is interference from something else, too much distance, or too much shielding between the transmitter and receiver, or maybe a combination. Note that most wireless things are marketed as working "up to" a number of meters and there are lots of things to interfere with that.

I've looked at the Garmin BC30 camera which could pair with my GPS. That camera has a transmitter that is separate from the camera and that can be mounted in the front of the trailer, closer to the receiver. I wonder if that would work better?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    I think most T@B owners would nix this mod if hardwired was required.
    Running hardwire through and under the T@B to a connector at the hitch then from hitch into TV interior can be a major hassle, just like it can be for the brake controller.
    For now intermittent works fine for us. Should the digital transmitter/receiver kits drop in price I will likely try that in the future.
    The Garmin option will likely work fine as is since is a higher cost/quality solution as well. 
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    I've been looking at this as well: http://quickvucams.com/
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    LauraRey said:

Looks like a good solution, but I would only recommend going with their digital model being released this month. That is $269 which is 2.5x what we spent. ;)
    You will need to drill holes to mount the camera at bottom of plate since it likely won't mount at top where license plate light is (and only holes on a T@B).
    Or try flush head bolts that pass through the plate at the bottom from the backside and mount the camera on those bolts with nuts on the outside. Instructions would change to - remove plate, attach camera at bottom, then reattach the plate. This assumes your license plate has holes at bottom and that the mount doesn't obscure any portion of plate required by the DMV.
    Another option would be to use 3M dual lock fastener (not Velcro) to mount the camera somewhere else on the bumper area of the T@B (doesn't have to be centered to work).

• Options
    reeddreedd Member Posts: 61
    LauraRey said:
    I really like this idea as it doesn't require drilling or wiring and I'm most interested in a camera to see behind the trailer for lane changes.  Has anyone tried a wireless camera like this attached to the T@B?  

This statement was in the FAQs on the site and I'm wondering about the transmission distance. 

""We designed QuickVu™ to be used in cars, minivans, SUVs, pickup trucks and similar-sized vehicles. Some customers have used QuickVu™ on smaller RVs and trailers, but this is not to be expected on all larger vehicles. Every vehicle is different, and factors such as length and body composition may affect video signal transmission. QuickVu™ works well on most vehicles it was designed for, but video transmission may degrade on larger vehicles. Bluetooth hands-free systems may interfere with the video transmission, so QuickVu™ is not recommended for vehicles with such systems enabled.""
    Deb - 2017 T@B U-basic Outback silver/silver  D@mselfly  
    2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD New Mexico
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
     reedd - Hmmmm, that last sentence ... Sounds like any time you wanted to use it you'd have to disengage Bluetooth.
  • Options
    reeddreedd Member Posts: 61
    I know, huh. This wouldn't be a problem for me right now, because my truck is older and doesn't have all the gadgets, but in a few years the new vehicle might.  I still have manual door locks and windows. 
    Deb - 2017 T@B U-basic Outback silver/silver  D@mselfly  
    2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD New Mexico
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    reedd - I'd definetly go with something wireless - If one doesn't need it all the time (like monitoring traffic behind you) one could just use wifi enabled, battery-operated security/baby cams and use ones smart phone to monitor. All digital and alot of wifi gear frequency hops or allows one to change frequencies if one is crowded or congested - kind of like many garage doors. Also with a standard like wifi you know what you're dealing with :-)
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I received the Furrion system for Christmas.  I have an Outback, so my husband is going to fabricate a mounting plate for the rack (a good use for all the welding equipment he has!) to get it up higher for the view as it can be used while driving as a rear view 'mirror'.  Now the questions of whether to connect power to the license plate light controlled by the TV, which would be the easiest, but not give me the ability to use the monitor inside the camper for a rear view monitoring system in camp, or run wiring under the camper to the battery, which looks like a true pain in the whazoo or drill thru to use the 12v outlet at the back of the camper like Jill did.  Has anyone ran wiring under the camper to the battery for something like this?  How big of a pain is it?  
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    The dealership where I bought my T@B recommended the Furrion rear view system.  I'll be interested in hearing your opinion of it after you get it installed.
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    I've been traveling for the holidays, so haven't been home, but next week I will be receiving a video cable and a replacement transmitter and receiver unit - all three from the seller in an attempt to discern whether the issues while driving are due to faulty transmitter, faulty receiver, or just the nature of the beast and I'll use the cable and hard wire it.
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    @AldebaranJill  I'll be interested in what you learn.  
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    We installed the backup/rear view camera on M@bel today!  It works like a charm!  The camera is mounted to the plastic guard from the Yakima rack and the power line is ran under the camper and thru an access hole near the Alde furnace (no holes drilled in the hull).  From there it follows the glycol pipe to an area behind the 12v charging station.  As an added bonus, I could check the glycol level of the Alde.  After some splicing, soldering and shrink wrap, the cable comes out right near the 12v charger.  The camera links to the monitor wirelessly and as another added bonus, I can bring the monitor into the camper at night and use it to 'see' behind the camper, if needed.  No real road test yet, but there is good signal strength, so I'm not anticipating any problems...it's rated for 100'.

All mounted .

The cable runs behind the plastic guard...removed in this photo.

It follows the inside of the trim.

Access is thru an existing port.

A view of the access port in the compartment with the Alde.  I had to pull a little plug to gain access to the 4th hole in the port.

My nice, full glycol reservoir.  Two screws removed and the cabinet piece slides out.

Power to camera completed.

A lovely view of the garage door...

Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    Hi Folks,
    Well after much advice, contemplation and testing, I've finished my rear view camera project to my satisfaction. I decided since the camper is always "hard wired" to my car when towing, I might as well hard wire the rear view camera to avoid any and all interference issues.

Having decided upon hard wiring, I then came up with a fantastic idea - to utilize the already built in coax cable to bring the signal to the front of the trailer! There must be over 10' of coax cable that had always been just laying around under my bench seat.

So I bought a $5 adaptor from coax to RCA (the video output of rear camera), screwed in the coax, routed the coax under the seats, then bought another adapter for the car end of the video receiver. I now have a very rugged outdoor coax running from the trainer, along the frame, into the trunk.

The video quality when driving is absolutely astonishing and perfect! I can see way way way behind me and both lanes to my right and left. It's exactly what I wanted.

So if I had to do it over again, I'd get the same monitor, same cameras, and skip the wireless TX and RX and just use the coax.

The above is while driving, you can see the T@B rear bumper in the extreme right and left hand corners. Massive view!

Utilizing the pre-existing coax wire port :-)

Into trunk

I spray painted cable shrouds black and gorilla glued them.
    This was because I wanted to be able to replace the cable easily if it was damaged.

And here's the view from the trunk rear view, helping me hitch up.

Yay!!!

Jill

Seattle, WA
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Very cool.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,561
    Well done Jill!  I think this is a keeper!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Thanks @SAM !
    I wish I could figure out how to post the video I took today that shows the highway performance. I suppose I could post it to youtube if folks want to see it. I've uploaded the video to Facebook.
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Thanks @SAM !
    I wish I could figure out how to post the video I took today that shows the highway performance. I suppose I could post it to youtube if folks want to see it. I've uploaded the video to Facebook.
    I'd love to see it, if you decide to post it.  Also, the coax cable use is clever!!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Ok, so I get how it connects from the outside coax port through the car to the monitor.  Your camera is mounted on the outside and the wires run into the cupboard and you connected them to a coax cable, which then run under the seats.  I think I'm missing where it connects on the inside in the front.  My television is connected to the coax.  So, do I just unplug the television and connect that cable with the one running from the back?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    @LauraRey - Yes, or I suppose you could get a coax splitter and run a new coax from the splitter to the camera - so you wouldn't have to unplug and plug. My internal coax cable was insanely long, perhaps to reach to the back of a TV in a clamshell model. But in your case, if you are using the coax for TV, then maybe consider a splitter. But if you're not using it for TV, and it's really long like mine was, then unscrew and route it under benches. For me, the rear cabinets can close even with the coax hanging out, so for driving, this is what I'll do. Once parked, will unscrew coax from rear camera video and stow the cable. My rear camera power is from the transmitter piece, and it's connected to 12V by a switch I installed. Let me know if you need more photos.

Since it's easy to plug and unplug the video to transmitter, I am considering buying a second display, and connecting it to the receiver that's now not in use in the trunk, and it would give me a wireless view out the back, when I'm inside. Just pondering.

Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    That's pretty sweet! I could use that!
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    edited January 2017

I'm just starting the installation process.  I'm trying to decide whether to mount the camera right above the license plate or attach it to the vent cover on top.
  • Options
    @LauraRey - I suggest you experiment with both locations to see the different views. Working on ground level would be much easier I'd think. I'm not sure about the camera being the tallsest spot on the camper. What about just in front of the cover, to give it some protection? Or you could paint the camera white and mount it where I did. I would definitely assess the view at both locations. I used two spare wires to bring 12 into my test camera locations. 
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    @AldebaranJill I think I'm going to try above the license plate first.  There is a light there and the screws match up to the holes in the camera's mounting bracket...plus, I can tap into the 12V there.  Now, if it would just ease up a bit with the rainy weather.
  • Options
    @LauraRey did you get a licence plate mounted camera?
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    @AldebaranJill   No, its the one that came with the monitor.  (Same as yours)  After playing with it this afternoon, the camera bracket's holes don't align quite right with the light's mount.  I just really don't want to drill through the shell.  I may end up doing it, but I'm still looking for options.  We will be hardwiring it based on your experience.