Options

I would really like 2 more inches of lift

DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
We tow with a 2015 Jeep GC with a 4" drop. Although everything works fine. When hooked up the trailer is still about 2" high in the front. If I drop the hitch 2 more inches I am afraid I will have problems with it dragging. What I would like to do is add a 2-3" lift to the axel. The Outback axel would be to much lift. Dexter the manufacturer of the axel has a 2 5/8" lift kit available, but it only fits a #9 Torflex axel. I have not been able to determine weather the T@B axel is a #9.  I contacted NU Camp and so far they have not been able to give me the Dexter part #. All they were able to do was give me their part #.
attention PopTab: Sean if you are out there I remember you were looking into this at one time.
If anyone knows the Dexter # please let me know.
Verna: you are close to people at NU camp maybe you could get someone find the Dexter #.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
  1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited January 2017
    Dale, have you spoken to Elsie Miller?   I would think that she could get you the Dexter part number you're looking for.  You might also want to call down to the factory and speak to Marvin Raber or his partner Austin as either one of those two men should be able to help you out.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    The last time I talked to her she only had their #.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2017
    The number isn't on that sticker on the front of the axle shaft? My Tab's all wet n muddy under there today, or I'd go out and take a photo for you...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    It may be, my enclosed underbelly is covering mine up.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Dale,

I went to Dexter's web site and looked at the axles and the #9 axle and kit are for the 2200# axle.   The axle on the T@B S unit is rated at 2900# according to the specs listed and would appear to be a #10 axle and kit you'll need.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Dale,

I went to Dexter's web site and looked at the axles and the #9 axle and kit are for the 2200# axle.   The axle on the T@B S unit is rated at 2900# according to the specs listed and would appear to be a #10 axle and kit you'll need.  
    I will give that a try thanks.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Dale,

I will give that a try thanks.
    The # 10 lift kit is for tandem axels.
    When I talk to Dexter they can not help me without the exact axle #.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Some T@Bs from early 2014 came with #3500 axles and 15" tires.  I'm not sure which axle number that is, but be sure to get the number directly off your own axle first.  There's so many variations in part numbers used, even on the same model years.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Some T@Bs from early 2014 came with #3500 axles and 15" tires.  I'm not sure which axle number that is, but be sure to get the number directly off your own axle first.  There's so many variations in part numbers used, even on the same model years.
    Ours is a 2015 with 14" wheels
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    There is a thread on someone that had the outback axle fitted to their t@b....isn't the outback 2 inches taller than stock t@b ?
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    There is a thread on someone that had the outback axle fitted to their t@b....isn't the outback 2 inches taller than stock t@b ?

That was me. I did not do before and after measurements but I always thought it was around 2", but I honestly wouldn't notice the difference with another 5/8". It has worked out well for me. I have been very pleased with the extra clearance.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I ordered mine new with the Outback axle.  My understanding is it adds about 2" to the height.  I wouldn't think 2" would matter that much, but in talking with my brother who is an offroad enthusiast, he said the 2" does make a noticeable difference.  I guess I'll find out in the Spring when I start taking my T@B out camping!
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    Jkjenn if you get a chance could you measure the distance from ground to the bottom flange axel mounting bracket. Also what size tires are on your outback axel. I think they use a different tire size. I have 6 5/8" clearance with 205x75R 14 tires with ground to center of hub 12.0"
    Thanks
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    The Outback axle I got with mine came with 15" tires.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    Jkjenn if you get a chance could you measure the distance from ground to the bottom flange axel mounting bracket. Also what size tires are on your outback axel. I think they use a different tire size. I have 6 5/8" clearance with 205x75R 14 tires with ground to center of hub 12.0"
    Thanks
    My tires are the General Tires AT Grabbers (27 | 8.50 | 14) The distance from the ground to the bottom of the flange - I might not have measured the right spot) is about 11.5" it was hard to be precise as the ground is wet and I didn't want to get on my back. Also, I am assuming the tires are low, since it has been bitter cold here, recently. It was just above zero last week. Cold front and storm is gusting through, now!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Thanks
    My tires are the General Tires AT Grabbers (27 | 8.50 | 14) The distance from the ground to the bottom of the flange - I might not have measured the right spot) is about 11.5" it was hard to be precise as the ground is wet and I didn't want to get on my back. Also, I am assuming the tires are low, since it has been bitter cold here, recently. It was just above zero last week. Cold front and storm is gusting through, now!

Thank you for taking the time. Your weather is no better than ours currently 10* in Spokane I  measured from the lowest point behind the tire.
    I was quite sure the outback axel lift was more than 2" looks closer to 5". I am looking for 2". I am still trying to find out the Dexter part # for standard T@B axel. Mine is covered by the underbelly.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    Thanks

Thank you for taking the time. Your weather is no better than ours currently 10* in Spokane I  measured from the lowest point behind the tire.
    I was quite sure the outback axel lift was more than 2" looks closer to 5". I am looking for 2". I am still trying to find out the Dexter part # for standard T@B axel. Mine is covered by the underbelly.

It sure didn't feel like 5", but it is noticeable. I can still manage the step into the trailer without an additional portable step.

• Options
    torceztorcez Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased an Outback axle for my 2014 CSS. I took measurements at the center of the fender and I gained 4 inches. It went from 24 to 28 inches. The clearance that I gained at the axle is what I needed the most. It went from 8 to 12. You could raise your hitch and gain all you need. I will go with 15 inch tires in the future.
  • Options
    LorieTLorieT Member Posts: 24
    How difficult is it to get the Outback axle on T@b S Max? And approximate cost, labor time? 
    Lorie Tuma, Mt. Pleasant, MI
    2015 Tab S
  • Options
    LorieT said:
    How difficult is it to get the Outback axle on T@b S Max? And approximate cost, labor time? 

Axle would be about $300-400 and the labor should be around an hour.

• Options
    LorieTLorieT Member Posts: 24
    torcez said:
    I purchased the axle direct from the factory and it was $600 shipped. The axle comes complete with the brakes and hubs. That is the only way to order. I installed the axle by myself in about 3 hours. It was well worth the time and effort. I have axle #s and contact info if needed.

Lorie Tuma, Mt. Pleasant, MI
    2015 Tab S
  • Options
    thelawgoddessthelawgoddess Member Posts: 7
    If adding the lift, will the original add-a-room Pahaque tent still fit or would you have to get the Outback model?
    2016 T@B M@x S Sofitel • Huntsville, AL

• Options
    OpenSkyOpenSky Member Posts: 30
    For future reference, since i put an Outback axle on our 2016 Max S:
    I believe the standard axle has a 22.5 deg drop, whereas the Outback axle has a 22.5 deg rise.  From the Dexter catalog, the height difference under load should be 2.5".

The original factory axle (non-outback) has this data plate (below).  It does not say "Dexter".   This axle appears to have a 22.5 deg rise (trailing arms above horizontal).

Original axle, after removal (below).  You can see the rise in the trailing arm.

The Outback axle has the following part number:   6540523
    You won't find that in a catalog though.  I called Dexter and they gave me the specs on it.   Alas, I lost the scrap of paper I wrote them on.  It appears to have a 22.5 deg drop on the trailing arms.   Bellow is the new axle hanging.

• Options
    @OpenSky
    Is’nt the difference more like 6”?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    @OpenSky;  Nice to known the axle angles instead of guessing.

Agree with @Dalehelman the delta between models is 5 inches or so, with 1+ inch being just the larger rim wheels.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @OpenSky
    Is’nt the difference more like 6”?
    @Dalehelman, the nüCamp factory told me 6” was the increase of height with the Boondock axle as opposed to the “normal” T@B axle. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Verna
    I think I herd it from you.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    OpenSkyOpenSky Member Posts: 30
    Sorry, I was looking at the wrong column in the axle table (the one in the catalog which is directly above the one you've inserted here).  4.24" difference.  Looks like the 0 deg axle would give you the ride height you want.   For towing with our Jeeps and a 4" drop hitch, the Outback axle height is perfect.

• Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    It may be, my enclosed underbelly is covering mine up.
    Dale. Is this what you’re looking for? It’s from my 2015 320. 

Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)