Options

Key West Recommendations?

Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
edited March 2017 in Camping & Travel
I'm heading to Key West next month on a road trip! I will be staying there 3 days with my sister and dog in my 2007 DM T@B and Thermarest Add-a-Room. I've been researching Sugarloaf KOA as well as Boyd's Campground. I need power and electric only and want to stay away big rigs and would love waterfront. Anyone have any recommendations?
Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
"Travels With The Tiny"

Comments

• Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    edited March 2017
    Watching this as Key West is on my list of places to go. :)

I suspect that to get a place that isn't wall-to-wall big rigs, you may have to move to one of the lesser known islands.  

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    It looks like there are state parks, but of course those are reserved a year in advance.
    Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
    It has been decades since I was down there, but Sugarloaf KOA had a waterfront area on an inlet and it was pretty and clean.  The location is excellent because a ride into Key West only takes 30 minutes or so.
  • Options
    fiddlefootfiddlefoot Member Posts: 62
    We stayed at Boyd's last December,  There are big rig places and not so big rig places.  they keep them separate, we were at the end of a street with water and electric, the only thing between us and the waterfront was an empty tent site, so we turned her around backwards and had a water view.  I can't find the site number but they are very nice if you call them. Because it's so close to Key West we would stay there again.  We also stayed at John Pennecamp and Bahia Honda.  Bahia Honda was my favorite, but is very difficult to get a space.  If you can get one, even for a night, go for it, it's the most remote place in the Keys and not so far from Key West.  You should also go to the no name pub for lunch or something, it's on no name key, check it out.  We had a great road trip, 4 nights at John Pennekamp, 3 nights at Boyds and 2 nights at Bahia Honda.  We had a one nighter ne of Jacksonville at Talbot Islands, where the site was so charming, I would have liked to stay longer.  (I had planned a Walmart one nighter, but my husband flipped out.)  I was just looking for the post pics of your campground thread to try a test photo out on the pxl police.  Have fun!  Loved the Hemmingway house and the Dry Tortugas.
    Denise, Rea and Ruby
    2016 CS S, 2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Somerset, VA

• Options
    tabienolatabienola Member Posts: 19
    We stayed at Pennekamp in April 2017 it is in the mangroves, but the bathouse was new and nice. Campground hosts gota-lveum. Further down the keys at hammock new bathhouse was not complete then (is now summer 2017) nice beach, but has pretty beach sea grass for the fish. Perfect is Bahia Honda good luck getting a spot!!! Much love to Houston and south TX! Nola