Options

Tab S Max spare tire seems to be mounted too close to the ground

2»

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited March 2017
    @Verna, our local feed/topsoil place priced their trailer-weighing service to include a separate weighing of the tongue, with instructions as to positioning and disconnecting, in order to get the tongue weight. 

They were 'experienced' at it.

I built a little kind of a stand, out of two-by, to properly straddle our bathroom scale.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thanks, @ChanW. This will go on my list for next week!  

This week is getting rather busy. And nothing comes in the way of my sister and I taking our two oldest great nephews (8 and 6) to the Cincinnati Aquarium on Thursday!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    edited March 2017
    check this out..he even explains how it was mounted...anyone else tried this? https://www.facebook.com/nucamprv/photos/a.182101155545525.1073741828.181203465635294/289024328186540/?type=3&theater

Chip Phillips Photography I mounted the tire with two thick aluminum plates, one on the outside and one on the interior. There are 3 long stainless bolts. I took the spare tire mount off the undercarriage and bolted all of that together through the trailer. Hope that helps!
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    HopsHops Member Posts: 48
    edited December 2017
    This is my spare tire story. (with a cool fix ending)
    -->I bought a used 2017 CS with the spare mounted under the back very close to the ground. I did not like it there. So... on my first trip and because of flat probability being low, I just left it at home. I figured I would just park it and take the spare into a town for repair. In any case, came back after 2000 miles without a flat.
    -->On my next trip I put it under the back seat (see picture). It took up some room and was 50lbs I don't want to carry. After 800 miles came back without a flat. 
    -->Then I met with some folks to review my Tow Vehicle(TV) spare and how it may work on my T@b. In this scenario I would not need to take the T@b spare as my TV spare would work.  My Ford Escape's wheel hub is 5 bolts with a 108mm(4.75") diameter the T@b is 5 bolts with a 4.5" diameter. So I got a converter from my T@b so the TV spare will fit it. (See pictures) The cost was about $50 and so on my next adventure I will just take the adapter. 

Hops and Cascade
    2017 T@B 320 Max S
    2014 Ford Escape 2.0 EcoBoost
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    That's pretty snazzy!

Doesn't the plate push the tire out so far that it rubs on the fender?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    No, it does not. The spare on my '14 Ford Escape is the same diameter. But, it is a bit narrower than my regular tire so that may help. When we tried it out there seemed to be plenty of room.
    Hops and Cascade
    2017 T@B 320 Max S
  • Options
    easttntabeasttntab Member Posts: 48
    I'm pretty sure that the spare tire is a lesser quality tire. I believe mine is a two ply tire. Pointing that out that I would not run that as a permanent tire but good for a spare.
  • Options
    Yes, just an emergency short use spare till repaired at the next convenient location.
    Hops and Cascade
    2017 T@B 320 Max S