Drill for raising the BAL leveler

Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350

I've been using a regular cordless drill for the tongue jack and stabilizers.  But it does not have enough torque to raise the BAL leveler.  Just bought this one at HomeDepot and it worked great.  Comes with two batteries, a charger and carrying case.  You also get one of the other tools pictured below for the $179 price!  Lifetime warranty.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Ridgid is a very good name brand in tools, and the warranty is for real. While most of my tools are yellow and black, my retirement present to myself was a Ridgid thickness planer.  I like it! 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Thank you for this information Tabaz. I've struggled with cranking up the BAL a couple of times. This tool will be in the camper before my next trip!
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• SnapDogSnapDog Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for posting this - I've been trying to figure out which one to buy since you suggested it for the BAL (in our first trip post). 

Sn@pDog, 2017 Outback, Silver w/black trim
  • Leo34Leo34 Member Posts: 16
    What is the BAL leveler? Obviously, this is a question from a newbie!
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    It's one of many available options to level your trailer from a left/right axis. I find it the easiest for a lazy single person (especially with the hammer/drill). Tried the blocks, Anderson and others. Cons are it is heavy, gets dirty (not good for the hammer/drill) and a bit unwieldy by design. You'll need to find what works best for you.
  • marilyncpmarilyncp Member Posts: 117
    edited June 2017
    Just bought a BAL and would love to use my very powerful drill (anything to make my life easier ;)) but what type of bit do you use?  How can you fit a bit over a nut that has to be wrenched down. What am I missing here... thanks guys!
    M@rilyn
    Previous 2017 T@B S owner... c'est l@ vie
    But still passionate about the brand!

• kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I got one and it makes raising the BAL a breeze. It took me a couple of tries before I figured out to put it in hammer drill mode. I got the vacuum for the accessory, and it is very nice too. I also picked up the flashlight, and in the future, I'm going to get the fan. Thanks again for the info.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350

There are drill bits made for sockets.  The BAL nut is 3/4."  Assuming you have a 1/2" chuck on your drill and a 1/2" socket, simply buy an adaptor that goes from the drill to the socket.  Here's what they look like:

@Tabaz Is that you Martin?  Thanks for the info, but not sure how this works.  I can't imagine it since the nut has to fit over the rod.  Can you make a video?  Or do a picture for me?  Thanks!
    M@rilyn

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    edited June 2017
    The small square part ( on the right of the picture) goes in your drill.  You find a 3/4 inch socket that fits on the larger square end (on the left of the photo).  The 3/4 inch socket is the size that fits on the BAL screwtop. 

Lots of examples on the web:  https://www.thisoldhouse.com/how-to/impact-driver-101-how-to-use-socket-drive-adapter

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    edited June 2017
    The small square part ( on the right of the picture) goes in your drill.  You find a 3/4 inch socket that fits on the larger square end (on the left of the photo).  The 3/4 inch socket is the size that fits on the BAL screwtop. 

Lots of examples on the web:  https://www.thisoldhouse.com/how-to/impact-driver-101-how-to-use-socket-drive-adapter

Thanks, and yes, I know what part goes into the drill.  =)  Thanks for the video... that was perfect!
    M@rilyn

@pthomas745& @Tabaz  DUH!  :o   That makes sense after seeing the video... I kept thinking the drill had something to do with the nut.  Piece of cake now.  Thanks for your help!  Off to purchase a new bit for my very powerful drill.  I love going to the hardware store, they know me by name.  LOL!!
    M@rilyn