Entry step mod

Do to age and  agility I felt the need for a larger entry step. I didn't want to have to buy and carry a separate one. So I added a larger platform to the existing one. It's a piece of 3/4" plywood cut 20 1/2" x 15" bolted to the existing step. Yes it does extend 7" beyond the side of the trailer, but I see no problem. In fact it allows quick access without having to extend the step for a quick bathroom break. I also added a Camco folding step support. ( The step support did require shorting for our lower non Outback Max S.
  1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    @Dalehelman... Love it!  What are you charging others for this modification? ;);)  I definitely  need to do something with my step and I wear a size 5 shoe.  I only feel safe exiting the T@B backwards.
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    OreoTAB said:
    @Dalehelman... Love it!  What are you charging others for this modification? ;);)  I definitely  need to do something with my step and I wear a size 5 shoe.  I only feel safe exiting the T@B backwards.
    Home Depot will cut the plywood to size. Two 1/4"X1 1/4" bolts through the existing step holes will secure it.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Where did you get the wheel dollies?  What is the weight capacity?
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
    atlasb said:
    Where did you get the wheel dollies?  What is the weight capacity?
    Harbor Freight  1250lb each.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • RuntarootiRuntarooti Member Posts: 76
    edited June 2017
    @Dalehelman  Ok, here's the dumb question of the day. What are the dollies for? Did you put on dinky wheels to squeeze into your garage? 
    2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback
    @Dalehelman  Ok, here's the dumb question of the day. What are the dollies for? Did you put on dinky wheels to squeeze into your garage? 
    The dollies allow me to move the trailer around in the garage without opening the door in the winter.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @OreoTAB I got to try out @Dalehelman's new step mod yesterday and I love it! It is very sturdy and secure feeling! I bet you and I could race to see which of us gets it done first! (Bet you win, too!) :)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    @Dalehelman  Nice mod.  I wonder if you cut it half from left to right and then hinged it, if it would still work but could be folded up under the trailer when traveling?  Is the covering thick?  That would impeded it folding.  Just musing over coffee.  I ended up buying a separate step.  
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I like your mod too Dale and wonder if you could find some heavy/thicker plastic material, secure it with some short/round head carriage style bolts and use some non-skid tape on the surface for footing?  Possibly drill a few water pass through holes for rain if needed or leave it as is and wipe it off with a towel when wet?  You could still attain the additional distance needed for footing and allow it to protrude out some too.  Just another Sunday coffee musing and food for thought. 
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    My Home Depot will only cut a piece of plywood to size, but will not round the corners and I'm not too excited about sharp corners and I don't have the luxury of a woodworking shop.  Soooo, I ordered a 20x16x3/4" cutting board from Target.  If it's too deep (1" deeper than @Dalehelman's), McLendon's will shorten it for me.

@Homebodyatheart... once again a cutting board comes to the rescue ;)  BTW, you may not have seen my message, but how did you attach your paper towel holder to the area above the front door?
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
    BTW, @Dalehelman has no cell service this weekend. That's why he is being quiet... I'm sure he will chime right in when he is back.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    @Homebodyatheart   Actually, I'd be interested in knowing about the paper towel mount as well. :)

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
    @OreoTAB, @LauraRey I attached the holder with 4 pieces of heavy duty velcro. It stays up just fine. I also usually turn the roll so it rolls towards the wall and have never had any problems with it unrolling during travel. It is SO handy here, and so out of the way! I think I got the holder at WM, could have been Target. I forget! Enjoy!
    Displaying IMG_3986JPG

Displaying IMG_3987JPG
    @Homebodyatheart   Thanks...unfortunately, the images aren't loading.

I like your mod too Dale and wonder if you could find some heavy/thicker plastic material, secure it with some short/round head carriage style bolts and use some non-skid tape on the surface for footing?  Possibly drill a few water pass through holes for rain if needed or leave it as is and wipe it off with a towel when wet?  You could still attain the additional distance needed for footing and allow it to protrude out some too.  Just another Sunday coffee musing and food for thought. 
    I just come up with the ideas. It's up to you guys to refine them. I love the input.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    LauraRey said:
    @Dalehelman  Nice mod.  I wonder if you cut it half from left to right and then hinged it, if it would still work but could be folded up under the trailer when traveling?  Is the covering thick?  That would impeded it folding.  Just musing over coffee.  I ended up buying a separate step.  
    Actually it works best for us if left  partially extended. That way for quick stops we don't have to fiddle with pulling the step out. Feel free to do what works for you. I always love the input after all I am not the smartest guy in the room, but I may have the most free time.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    edited August 2018
    Update to the support leg for my oversized step. It difficult and time consuming to adjust the step support. I needed something easier and faster. It stays attached when retracted and my cordless drill is used to operate it. 

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Dalehelman, I had to chuckle at that one....appears you have too many jacks & are having to find new, unique places to install 'em! :rofl:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

@ericnliz I thought you would pickup on that.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun