Options

How to use my Father's Day gift.....

I remember seeing a comment not too long ago about using an infrared thermometer to check temps of wheels while on the road.  Got one for Father's Day, now how to use it?   What temp is normal when cold?  Similar to the ambient temp I would think?  And what is considered normal while on the road?  What is too high and I ought to be concerned?  Where exactly should the laser be pointed to get the proper reading?
2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Here is some information to start out with that might help you out.  You need to no doubt record your starting temperatures and keep a log to establish temperature trends and heating.  I would Google a tire temperature chart and go from there.  I think if it were me I would be more concerned with the bearing hubs and ensuring that they remain cool, etc.

https://nasaspeed.news/tech/wheels-tires/tuning-tires-tracking-tire-temperatures-and-tuning-your-setup-accordingly-can-pay-dividends-on-the-racetrack/
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Thanks Mike..........I am more interested in the bearing hub temps.   I think it will probably be a matter of establishing a record of what is normal so that I will be able to recognize what is definitely not normal and needs attention.
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited June 2017
    I learned the hard way about wheel bearings as I was stranded out in Arizona at Dead Horse Ranch SP at a rally with a failed bearing that resulted in a damaged axle spline on a Little Guy 5-wide.  Since that event I've made it a point to check and service them per the factory/manufacturer recommendations and I do check them along the road, during stops when I am traveling.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    T@Balong said:
    Thanks Mike..........I am more interested in the bearing hub temps.   I think it will probably be a matter of establishing a record of what is normal so that I will be able to recognize what is definitely not normal and needs attention.
    This is an interesting idea and I love new gizmos...  I'm not sure how accurate they are, but I see harbor freight has one for about 19 bucks...  Did you figure out where to get a reading of the hub?  Just point at the shiny outside?  We used to use them at work all the time for spot checks on heat and cooling pipes...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I am still working on building up an inventory of readings so I know what is normal, but for now it's a "point and shoot" game and see what happens.   My goal is to be able to know what's abnormal.
    States Visited Map