Options

First trip

OutbackIdahoOutbackIdaho Member Posts: 12
First off I would like to thank the members for this forum. I was looking to purchase a light weight trailer for my 2016 Cherokee and it was your discussions made me fall in love with the T@B. I ended up purchasing a new 2017 Outback.
My first trip was a few weeks ago. Reserved a spot in Lake Cascade but 4 days prior to leaving they were saying snow on the drive home. Since it was my first time towing thought it would be best to take a short drive to Bruneau Sand Dunes instead. 
A day before my trip a friend took me to a school to learn how to backup. When I pulled up to the camping spot it took less than 5 minutes to back in. When I got out of the car I patted myself on the back. 
One tool that was not in my TV was a screw driver to pop the trailer from the hitch. Camp host did not seem to thrilled that he had to help but he did. 
Bug spray! The mosquitos were really large and they seem to think I was sweet. 
Purchased a mat for the step after my dog tore his toe nail off.
I remembered the coffee pot, cream and sugar but forgot the coffee. 
Excited for my next trip in a few weeks. The location will be a non electronic spot so hoping the propane will not freeze the food in the fridge.
I had one gentleman say that I was brave to camp on my own. Reminded him that we were in a family campground it would not be a problem to ask for help. What I did not say was that the yellow dog is very protective. 

Comments

• Options
    blackc2004blackc2004 Member Posts: 117
    Nice! I just finished my first weekend as well!
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Congrats on your maiden voyage! A can of silicone spray will be your friend with your hitch until it loosens up after a few trips. Spray the ever-lovin' out of the handle, underneath, and the ball on your tow vehicle. It is also very helpful if you ever plan on sliding an awning or visor into your keder rail, and I also use it on our garage door runners twice a year. Great stuff! I also keep a small notebook and pen in a cupboard so I can write down what I've forgotten, or would like to bring next time. That works well for me. 

I haven't been to Lake Cascade since I was a kid. My Great Aunt and Uncle had a summer place there on the west side, back off the lake but with a view. I think McCall was a one stoplight town then, too. I have fond memories of it all!

Thanks for sharing and have fun!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @OutbackIdaho, The trips get easier, and the list of things you forget, shorter. I do like @Homebodyatheart, keep a pencil & paper along with to jot things down. I also have a permanent list of camping gear that makes it's way in & out of both the T@B & my tow vehicles. A quick check down the list ensures I don't forget something that got taken out, and not put back. Coffee, REALLY :o , 'ya forgot the COFFEE! :s Bet 'ya won't forget it next time! ;) Have fun & be safe out there!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    OutbackIdahoOutbackIdaho Member Posts: 12
    @ericnliz it was a sad, sad morning knowing there was no coffee to enjoy.
    @Homebodyatheart silicon spray? The sway bar that I have said not to add anything to the ball. Would I just add the spray to the trailer lock? 
    Note pad on my phone has a running list of items not to forget and what to fix. #1 on the list is coffee. 2 is dog food/treats the rest will change from trip to trip. 
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited June 2017
     :) #1 on the list: coffee :coffee: , #2 on the list: Irish Cream (that way if 'ya forget the coffee, or run out, 'ya have a back-up & forget all about the coffee anyway!) =) I forgot dog treats...once. I got the 'ol "stinky eye from our dog! :angry:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 910
    Our first trip I had the coffee, forgot the mugs.  Bottom line was a small saucepan worked in a pinch!  Hey... You do what ya gotta do! :o
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Somebody, Verna?, suggested vaseline on the ball.  That worked for us until after a few trips..  No coffee?  oh noooooooo......
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    @TerryV6, vaseline would be a bad idea, same with WD40 or any oils. They are grit and dirt attractors and get mucky/sticky after a while. A can of silicone spray is my best friend and I spray it liberally over, under and around the hitch, and on the ball. It also works well on my garage door runners twice a year.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red