Volvo XC70 T5 FWD as TV?

FoxedwardsFoxedwards Member Posts: 13
just picked up our first T@B, CS-C, with our 2008 Tundra.  Needless to say, except on the mountain roads of VT I did not even know I towing anything.  However, our intended TV is/was a 2015 picked up our T@B CS-S in VT with our Tundra.  Needles to say, icee of cake driving home to Maine. Only remembered I was towing a trailer crossing the mountains. Howeve, intended TV is our 2015 Volvo FWD  XC 70, with the smaller (and very efficient) 4 cylinder T5, which has as much or more power than any Volvo 5 cylinder turbo I've ever driven. Due to the mountain portion of my drive home and the various postings about the, among other issues, safety of a Suburu Outback pulling a T@B, I'm definitely having second thoughts about using the Volvo as our TV.  Any thoughts/experience out there with using this Volvo for a TV?  Maybe we should forget the cost of adding hitch and electric brake hook up to the car and stick with the Tundra, horrible gas mileage, but easy and safe?

Comments

• 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    @Foxedwards - our tow vehicle is a Volvo XC  60 and we have had no problem towing our T@b.  Last trip went down (and then back up on return voyage) a 5 mile long 6% grade with no problem.  Had the dealer install the hitch and 7 pin connector and have a tekonsha remote brake controller.
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• FoxedwardsFoxedwards Member Posts: 13
    Thank you.  Much relieved to hear this!
  • 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    One thing I find on the forum is there is usually someone who has the same set us you do.  Always nice to be able to confirm things or trade ideas.  We have a clamshell so are always having to think twice about whether a post applies to us.  ;)

Welcome to the f@mily!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• jimdermodycdnjimdermodycdn Member Posts: 15
    Towing our T@B with a 2015 Volvo XC70 T5 front drive. So far so great. If you get the Volvo installed hitch and electric harness you get the advantage of integrated stability control. The stability control system in the Volvo is set up to detect trailer sway and activate the trailer brakes to eliminate the sway. If the problem is not solved the stability control system will activate the TV brakes and bring you to a stop. Also monitors your trailer lighting system. We had a check trailer light fault message show up on our dash. Remember this is Volvo's tow vehicle in Europe and you are towing a european designed trailer. Chose the Volvo and the T@B as a combination. Check your Volvo manual for info on this system. That said your mileage will probably be cut in half towing. We have found a 30% to 50 % reduction in economy. Last trip in the mountains was about 21 mpg (imperial gallons).
    Cheers
  • ELKELK Member Posts: 213
    edited July 2018
    Late in, but I'm towing a MAX S with my XC70 T6...Becasue my brake controller has not worked on any of my trips (!!) I'm getting an RF put in today...but that said....the volvo has done a great job. 
    2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70.