Options

Strangely quiet in T@B 400 Land

knoxville1915knoxville1915 Member Posts: 60
I cannot seem to get any clear answers with regards to the T@B 400 production. It seems as though the 2017 production run has stopped, as I have seen adverts for 2018s popping up recently. I'm curious to know how many own and are in possession of a 2017 400 and how many have a 2018 400. We are still waiting on our replacement 400, but have a 2017 in our possession. Did the 2017 production run stop because of the issues a few of us brought to their attention? And what are the changes from 2107 to 2018?

2018 T@B 400 (Rol@nd) towed by 2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax (C@lgon)

Comments

• Options
    Here's video of the 2018 they just added to their website https://tab.nucamprv.com/2018-tab-400-model-teardrop-camper-video/

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    If I remember correctly, production for the next years campers start around July to meet production numbers before the new year rolls around. I think it's similar to the auto industry.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I should add, I also don't believe they had a full 2017 run of the 400's and were still in prototype mode then. Someone closer to the factory folks would know a lot more than I would. I'm just remembering this in something I read in passing. My one brain cell can only hold so much!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    our first one was a 2018 with a production date of May.  Sent you a message about delivery on ours. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    BillReddingBillRedding Member Posts: 26
    ...which may be one reason to wait a while until the 400s are "stabilized" (bugs/fixes/improvements) and production is running smoothly and at full speed.

Well, not TOO "speedy" as quality may suffer...

-- BR
  • Options
    Got a message from nuCamp regarding the 400s: they made about 30 2017s, then stopped production. They then ramped up production in June on the 2018s. They should start rolling out at full speed very, very soon.

• Options
    gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
    Saw two 400s roll into the Missoula Bretz RV last Friday.
    2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
    Camping under the Big Sky
  • Options
    AMacAMac Member Posts: 75
    Any info on differences between 17 and 18 models? The one we ordered must be an 18 since it hasn't been built yet per our dealer.
  • Options
    AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
    Yikes! What are the 17s problems? I think we purchased one.
  • Options
    We had a few issues: one major, two minor. The major one was a leak that allowed rain to come and rain on the bed. The leak was in the center exterior clearing light, which allowed water to enter and pool at the stargazer window sill. It made for a very wet night of camping. The minor issues were: the plastic hinges they used on the extended leaf for the kitchen counter fatigued and snapped in half, and a hairline separation between the floor and walls behind the toilet of the bathroom insert. Creed from nuCamp said that there are really no differences between the 2017s and the 2018s, though I am going to call and get the specifics so I can share them with you.

• Options
    Oh dear, @knoxville1915!! How did they fix the leak? Geesh, and on the bed too. What is the exterior clearing light? I guess I need to look closer at 400s. I really didn't want to look... I didn't want to pine over them. 
  • Options
    The exterior clearing lights are the three red lights at the top rear of the trailer (at night, it gives drivers behind you a notion that something is being towed). Our dealer tried to fix the problem, but to no avail. NuCamp came, took the trailer back to Sugar Creek, fixed it, delivered it back to us, and promised us a brand new 400, but we can use the repaired one in the meantime. Overall, we have been very pleased with the 400: the Alde system works very well, the A/C works great, the bathroom and shower are great, love the size, lighting, and windows. If I could change a couple little things, they would be: the day/night blind clips that like to pop off; the location of the radio antenna (currently on the hookup side...the antenna is placed too low...the trailer blocks a lot of the signal); the doorknob in the bathroom...I would change it to a lever handle because I'm clumsy and keep smashing my thumb when I close the door!

• Options
    blackc2004blackc2004 Member Posts: 117
    The exterior clearing lights are the three red lights at the top rear of the trailer (at night, it gives drivers behind you a notion that something is being towed). Our dealer tried to fix the problem, but to no avail. NuCamp came, took the trailer back to Sugar Creek, fixed it, delivered it back to us, and promised us a brand new 400, but we can use the repaired one in the meantime. Overall, we have been very pleased with the 400: the Alde system works very well, the A/C works great, the bathroom and shower are great, love the size, lighting, and windows. If I could change a couple little things, they would be: the day/night blind clips that like to pop off; the location of the radio antenna (currently on the hookup side...the antenna is placed too low...the trailer blocks a lot of the signal); the doorknob in the bathroom...I would change it to a lever handle because I'm clumsy and keep smashing my thumb when I close the door!
    WOW! That's customer service!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @blackc2004:   I think a point was missed here re: the above described camping misadventure: That 400 should not have been able to get past NuCamp's Quality Control and out-the-door to a dealer or owner.

I've already contacted NuCamp about this concern and hope they DO improve things there in re: to making sure that "finished" T@Bs don't leave their door until EVERYTHING is checked -- or (IMO) they're not really "finished" until quality-checked & passed. I was informed that they DO check, so I don't know what happened with THIS particular 400.

Really though, once a T@B DOES leave the factory for a dealer or customer, I'm sure even NuCamp (let alone the dealer) doesn't want to get a brand new product back for "repairs" -- what manufacturer would? They have enough to do...such as BUILDING/SELLING them!

So here's hoping for the best as NuCamp gets its production lines up & running smoothly...

BTW, forgot to add a compliment (!): Yes, that IS great Customer Service from NuCamp -- outstanding! I'm just saying it shouldn't have been necessary for a brand new T@B, that's all.

-- BR
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2017
    @skwhee Amen!  And this is why they put erasers on pencils as people are human, people make mistakes on occasion and unfortunately nobody's perfect.  And inasmuch as things are inadvertently missed along the way, even the "BIG THREE" (who incorporate robotic technologies) and other corporate entities initiate recalls and undertake warranty related work/tasks as a result of problems that are found or encountered after a product is introduced to the public.  

Agree, these are hardworking and diligent individuals/staff down in Sugarcreek and comparatively speaking if you put their work up against the RV industry as a whole and compare apples to oranges I'll bet you'll find out that their warranty claims are much lower and the quality and focus on getting out the best product to their target market is much higher.  Show me another RV manufacturer who will build a new trailer for a customer and in the interim, allow that customer to use a trailer while the new trailer is being built?  These comments aren't intended to be condescending, nor mean spirited toward anyone, but are mere proof that nuCamp wants nothing but satisfied customers and as an end result, happy campers.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    And I am second to none in giving nuCamp the customer service praise they have warranted. I was simply curious as how the production runs were working; the answer to which was given throughly by skwhee and I am very grateful for your research. When I initially talked to nuCamp regarding the leak, they did mention the possibility of building a "rain room" to test the water-tightness of the units as they come off the line.

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @skwhee & @Michigan_Mike, Absolutely agree with the comments made!!! When an issue arises, nuCamp & the folks at Pleasant Valley are all over not only IMMEDIATELY addressing the issue, but looking to not only fix, but improve many aspects of these wonderfully built trailers. One comment I must make is that for them to be able to address an on-going, or new issue, they need to be aware of it first so it can be either addressed, or improved upon. Personally (and not only MY trailer, but others in our group), we've had issues come up that even Scott Hubble got involved in. That, all in itself tells me that concerns are a priority not only to the company, but the individuals within the company as well. From us, keep up the excellent quality work, it is noticed, and appreciated!!!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    I am looking very much forward to doing extensive drycamping. Our 400 version 2 will have two batteries, providing a whopping 350 amp hours. I just wish we had here in the east the BLMs that the western states have!

• Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    @knoxville1915 Sounds like a special build. Was that a special request?
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 225
    The dealership near me just got three new 400's
    i want to go see one
  • Options
    @skwhee I knew the option for two batteries was available, so when I talked to nuCamp about the new 400, I asked about the possibility of adding another battery. They said, "Can do!" It'll be located next to the propane tank.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I would like to see room made for (and then installed!) two 20lb propane tanks and 2 lithium batteries right up front (no waiting!) -- as an option, if not a standard feature. And if necessary redesign the trailer "fulcrum point" farther forward to mitigate that extra additional weight on the tongue.

After all, T@Bs cost quite a bit already anyway, so why not TWO of each of those items?

True, the lithiums are expensive (so increase the T@B's price) but how much more does a generic 20lb propane tank cost? Not much.

-- BR

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    You can buy the lithium batteries for about $3500 each on Amazon and your request is something you could probably farm out once YOU buy your 400.  What's an extra $10-12K anyway???   B)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    "What's an extra $10-12K anyway???"

Nuttin!

--BR
  • Options
    :rofl: nuttin? *faint*
  • Options
    LauraPLauraP Member Posts: 6
    Totally disgusted! Ordered my 400 in February. Sold my 2016 T@B S Max in April in hopes of having my new camper soon there after. No communication from dealer or factory. Made lots of phone calls to both. End of July and still no 400. Total lack communication on their part. Dealership caught in the middle but poor communication on their part as well
  • Options
    @atlasb @skwhee
    Just got a phone call from our dealer this morning that our new Tab 400 is in! We will trade our current 2017 400 in and take the new one up for a two-night test camp this Wednesday. We will let you know of any changes we notice in the build outs between the two models.

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Great news for you!  Congratulations ! Hope that ours follows soon.  Enjoy the new one!  One additional question,  Do the Stab's have the large round feet on them?  Let us know how things go!  atlasb (Fred, Donna and Jaxson)
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab