Options

Do you use mirror extenders on a Subaru Outback?

TabuTabu Member Posts: 10
Our TV is a 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6.  We pick up our T@B some time this month.  What mirror extenders do you use on your Subaru if any?
Tabu - Rita & Phil and Doli who is a 2015 silver frost/blue S Max being towed by a 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6l

Comments

• Options
    TabyDDTabyDD Member Posts: 52
    Hi Tabu
    I bought mine at 'Reilly's' a popular auto supply store.  Check out any auto store supply chain stores for better deals that an RV place.  Mine come on and off with rubber straps plus the mirror's are adjustable also.  Very convenient and under $30. DD
    Seattle, Wa
  • Options
    stanmstanm Member Posts: 49
    I don't use mirror extenders. The T@B is approximately the same width, maybe slightly narrower so I feel that I get a really good view using standard mirrors.
    Stan & Kitty - Seattle - 2014 T@B Q, Silver & Orange, 2013 Outback
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited November 2014
    Not an Outback, but with our Tacoma, we use the extenders that eTrailer.com carries: http://www.etrailer.com/Mirrors/K-Source/KS3891.html

They work well, are "universal", and are fairly inexpensive.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    taboutabou Member Posts: 28
    Hi Tabu We've benn traveling with our Outback and a Clamshel for a month in september and there's is no need for mirror extenders
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I have a 2012 Forester (1 1/2") narrower and have the same mirrors as Chan.   They actually come in handy (in particular I can see cars behind me a little easier).
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I don't tow with a Subaru, but I do use mirror extensions that were specifically designed for my GMC pickup.  I would not tow without them as I can see if someone is tailgating my T@B with the extended mirrors that I cannot see otherwise.  Also helps tremendously if I need to make a turn or change lanes.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Yeah, when we started pulling the TabI thought we'd probably do without extenders, cuz the Tacoma mirrors seemed to stick out far enough.

But the extenders let me see more directly behind the Tab, rather than "down the road a ways". Feels better, I spose.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Chan - what year Tacoma do you have (and model)? I'm seriously considering a Tacoma so wondered what you thought (and good to know the extenders do the trick - I'll be sure to get a set when the time comes). Michele
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Hi Michele,

We have the 2011 4-cyl 4-wd 5-speed manual transmission, with the 'Access Cab' & full size bed.

It works fine for the Tab, wouldn't want anything less powerful. 

I would say we're happy with it!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Thanks Chan - I'm considering either a slightly used or maybe new PreRunner, RWD, V6, Access Cab. Will be purchasing something by the spring before my T@B arrives (ordering it after the first of the year).

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Subaru66Subaru66 Member Posts: 5
    Spend the extra money and get the V6.  I was looking for a good used Tacoma double cab and everyone wanted top top dollar for them.  Finally gave in and bought a new 2015 Tacoma Prerunner double cab short bed.  With my LG trailer you don't even know your towing anything.  It came with transmission oil cooler and tow package...Love it!
    John
    Senoia, GA
  • Options
    Subaru66 - Yes, definitely V6 is a must! You're right - all the used ones I've found are up there in price. Been researching and learning on how to get the real cost of a new vehicle to arm oneself going "into battle" with a dealer. Funny how it's difficult to find a vehicle without all the packages. Can't even find one with the absolute basics (crank windows, etc!). All I care about is the towing package w/trans cooler and V6. I want the Access Cab so the bed is a bit longer.