Options

Add a 12 volt outlet for CPAP use

markathmarkath Member Posts: 12
edited August 2017 in Modifications & Upgrades
Need 12 V power for "dry camp" use of CPAP machine while sleeping. Would like to add a 12 V outlet on the driver side of the rear of a 2015 S Max. Ideas for fuse or line usage would be appriciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2017
    I don't have my 2015 T@B Max S here at the house but did exactly what you are looking to do for the same reason.  I ran a 10 gauge red wire back to the rear of the trailer from the bench behind the electric converter and also a ground wire.   I think the easiest thing to do might be to find a spot on the rear deck to the side of the Glycol reservoir and decide on what style cigarette port you want to install.  

I installed the 12 volt charging station with USB ports above the back shelf area on the ceiling area and just behind the front light and it's the same one used at the front of the T@B.  The only real difficulty as I recall was getting the wires up into that area and also re-installing the molding that runs up the corner.  Since there is no way to mount it on the sidewall you'll either need to install it behind the light or possibly on the shelf.  the factory has them for sale if you contact Elsie Miller or am sure they are on Amazon too, where I purchased mine.  

I spliced into an existing feed wire exiting the converter, installed a fuse in the bench area and with easy access.  This is a shot of a unit I installed in my former Silver Shadow and I had eliminated the cigarette style plug and installed an LED meter in it's place.  I splice connectors on the ends of the wire and installed the boots directly to the cigarette plug for my Resmed CPAP so I'd have ample capability and without worrying about shorting anything out.  I've used this set-up for a few years now without any issues when boondocking, but do not use the humidifier portion of the Resmed 9 to conserve energy.  I also use a pure sine wave Zamp 300 W inverter to power up the CPAP and this has done the job well.  Just be careful cutting the face of the wood, use some painters tape to help eliminate any chipping away of the wood, etc.  I measured out the area I need for installation and pre-drilled some pilot holes at the corners, then used a fine toothed blade to cut across to the opposite corner.  

If you take your time this is a worthy addition to the rear of the trailer that will solve the CPAP power issue.  This is also something that the factory could easily do as well, but as noted. the biggest chore was feeding both wires up and into the upper ceiling area just above the Glycol reservoir and does require patience and some thought.  I would need to look at the fuse size but am guessing it was a 15-20 A fuse and something less than what was already on the available circuit?   I must admit, the USB ports have been nice to have in the corner and I actually mounted an additional USB port in the same area in the opposite corner.  

Good luck!  

Image result for 12 volt cigarette style charging station with USB ports
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Wow, thanks for the thoughtful reply.  Bring your wire snips and saw by and we can get it done :)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2017
    markath said:
    Wow, thanks for the thoughtful reply.  Bring your wire snips and saw by and we can get it done :)
    No problem!  I'd be happy to help you out but won't be out CA way until January.  You can do it, piece a cake!

Just take your time and use a fine toothed saw that will minimize splintering the edges of the wood.  And as noted, using painters tape and sketching out and pre-drilling the opening will make it a lot easier.  This is a helpful addition for anyone who uses a CPAP and needs power when boondocking.  I also added in a 110 V electrical receptacle in the rear deck too for CPAP use.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    There is a 12v LED and stereo speaker in each corner of the back.  Should be able to pull the speaker and get access to the wires easily.  Wonder if those would be a good source of power or if could follow them back out of the space? Would use screw up the light or the sound?