Options

Attaching things to the T@B walls?

RadRad Member Posts: 516

I'm starting the process of outfitting our new beast and I thought I would do a quick check here and see if anyone had any advice or recommendations regarding the best way to attach things to the interior walls.  I'm thinking paper towel holders, hooks, very small shelves, etc.  In particular I'm curious as to the attachment methods used.  Do wood screws work? Do you check for "studs" to screw into?  What's the actual wall material?

Thanks 

Conrad

Comments

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    We have used Command hooks of various sizes depending on what we planned to hang on them.    Has worked great!
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    BackroadsBettyBackroadsBetty Member Posts: 10
    I have also used Command hooks with good success -  I even hang my flat screen TV from two Command hooks mounted close together.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Command hooks look good. 

I'm really not sure about screwing things into the walls to mount paper towel holders, spice racks, etc. I guess I better do a little research on the wall construction before I do anything else.
  • Options
    Mmmmmm Tabbersam stated the following...
    "the walls are actually a foam sandwiched by the inside paneling and the outside siding, all formed into one piece.  So there's probably 1" of insulating foam everywhere." 

Not looking to good for mounting things to walls via screws
  • Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    We are doing the same, Rad. Hard to find small, lightweight shelves around here. Guess I will order, but it seems Command has made a big presence in Lowe's and Walmart. Big displays this year. Nice metal hooks available on them
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    We've used Velcro-the little 1x1 square ones to afix pictures to our T@B and after a long road trip we found the picture frames still where we put them, on the wall. Of course they aren't 8x10 picture frames, it's s small trailer.
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    I have heard that pop-rivets work well for light items.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Here is a side view of the wall and comment today from the factory:  Fiberglass - backing - block foam - backing wall paper.      We employ azdel as the backer.

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    That is a great pic, thanks. Mike, do you have a link to other factory pics? I can't find any with the new web page format. I thought the old page had a link.
  • Options
    jschemeljschemel Member Posts: 79
    we're using some over the cabinet door hangers for hand towels, paper towels and racks for spices, etc. 
    you can hang them over the top of the door inside (under sink) or outside (under drawer) or for upper cabinets you can hang them under door on cabinet frame
    the doors close over the hangers easily. We haven't permently attached them yet and may not.
    Jaynie and Larry - Palo Alto, CA - 2015 T@B CS-S - Expedition EL - Nights spent in "T@b Spirit of Holly" 97
    (9/22/19/
  • Options
    Paper towel over the door? Where did you find. We aren't going to drill holes and I thought a paper towel holder, plastic,with double-sided tape would be nice. Thanks for sharing
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I have considered the hanging on the door type of units.  

Here is one T@B  with what appears to be a standard wall mount paper towel holder  mounted over the entry door.  I like it

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Paper towel holders and towel holders that go over cabinet doors are available either on Amazon, Camping World or at Bed, Bath and Beyond. 

Over the door hangers are available at a lot more places--Walmart, Lowe's, Amazon, Camping World or Bed, Bath or Beyond.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks. Drove 45 min to Bed, B and Beyond. I had a stack of coupons, but that store has changed so much. It is now more like a Babies R Us or a Bridal registry. I did pick up a few light weight things, but the majority of the inventory were heavy plated things. Going to keep looking.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Wonder if there aren't some key areas in the walls where there's supports (wood or something - If you look at the end of the side shelves (above the windows) there are screws into the sidewalls.