Options

2-Way Fridge Not Turning Off

rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
Hello All,

After returning home last night from our most recent trip with our 2016 CS-S, I checked the battery voltage, and found it lower than expected, at about 12 V, since I had just checked it at about 12.4V before towing home.  I discovered that the fridge was cool, and running, despite it being switched off.  We had not used the fridge on the trip, and based on the battery not getting run down excessively over the course of the two night trip, I assumed it managed to turn itself on during our tow home, though it seemed the knob was still in the off position.  There was a single beverage can in the fridge. 

I plugged in to shore power to prevent further discharge of the battery. 
I turned the fridge knob to 5, and then past the click / off, and went to bed.
In the morning, the fridge was still cool and running.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Any advice, other than take it back to the dealer for assistance?
2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Comments

• Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    rkj...  sounds like a bad thermostat...maybe try to give a slight whack.. the thermos knob....   when u turned it to off did u hear the compressor go off?   
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    the switch to turn it off has one more position past 0 and you will feel a click and the light will go out
  • Options
    When turning it off, I always go past the click, and it stops cooling, though the light stays on when the door is open.  I have turned the fridge on and off several times without issue in the past.  

When I turned it off last night, the neighbour's AC was running, so I could not hear that well, but I think the compressor was still running.   I was not sure if it needed to finish it's cycle first, and I was tired, so I just left it.  

I cycled the knob on/ off again this morning, and will check it after work, but again, I'm pretty sure the compressor was still running when I left.

I wonder if it is simply the knob itself, not turning far enough past the click to actually move into the off position.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Follow up...

I checked it after work today, and the fridge had warmed up, and was no longer running.  I think it's a finicky switch.

I'll try to pay close attention to it moving forward to determine if any repair action is needed or not.
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited August 2017
    Yikes!  If it's under warranty I'd consider replacing the temp switch.  It may get worse over time

The light always stays on regardless of temp setting, when the door is open only.  At least it does in our 2014 model :o
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA