Options

Anyone towing a T@B 400 with a Toyota Highlander?

VickeyPVickeyP Member Posts: 47
Are any of the 400 owners towing with a Toyota Highlander? Are you needing a weight distribution hitch or to beef up the rear suspension? When we hitch up our 400 to our 2015 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD, the rear end does go down noticeably. The TV still looks fairly level but I do see a bigger gap between the coping and the front tire than there is without the trailer. We do have a friction anti-sway bar on it. The handling seems ok but this is the first vehicle I have towed. We did not get sway at 60 to 65 with wind and truck traffic on the freeway. TV is rated to 5,000 lb and manufacturer recommends sway bar but not WD hitch. Are we taking a terrible risk towing without a WD hitch?

Thanks in advance.

2018 T@B 400 Sw@llowt@il  - 2015 Highlander - Dunedin, Florida
"Not all that wander are lost..." J. R. R. Tolkien

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @VickeyP, I discussed the fact that my Tacoma's rear end went down 2" with the head service writer at my dealer. He said the suspension on my Tacoma is made soft for a car-like ride and that, yes, the rear end would go down. I and well under my limits of 650 lbs tongue weight and 6500 lbs for towing.  He recommended I go to a truck outfitter business to have airbags installed.

The truck outfitter put Firestone airbags with a built- in compressor that has a gauge next to my left leg with a switch that is used to add air to the airbag. It takes 25 lbs of air to compensate for the lowering of my rear end. When not towing, I drop the air to 10 lbs. 

Check with your Toyota dealer if need be, or talk to a truck outfitter to see what they recommend. At least one other Toyota Tacoma owner here on the forum has had the airbags installed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thank you Verna, that is good to know. I'm going to check that out tomorrow AM.

• Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    VickeyP, I tow with an FJ Cruiser. One thing that was easy for me to do was upgrade the rear shocks. That made a big improvement. Ideally, I should have also upgraded the rear springs. Since I do most of my driving without the camper, I think it was a good compromise.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    Sigh, no airbags are made for the Highlander, maybe the shock upgrade will help. I'll look into that when we get home from our Maiden Voyage. Two days of towing and all is well.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Update - after a month and a half and at least 3,000 towing miles, I am no longer at all concerned about towing the T@B 400 with the Toyota Highlander Limited. It did just fine, the trailer towed really well in different weather and terrain, with and without the friction sway bar. WD hitch would have definitely been overkill. Springs did fine, just had the TV in for a thorough maintenance/check and all is good. Happy camper! 

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    If you feel the need to upgrade the suspension, look at Timbren SES suspension.  Easy install and should get your TV back to level.  I believe they make them for your Toyota.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    @Verna... do you have the off-road (Bilstein shocks)and or tow package on your Tacoma?  

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @DurangoTaB, I have the factory tow package and added Firestone air bags to the rear suspension. The rear no longer “sits down” when hitched, and with the gauge next to my left knee, I can easily change how much air pressure I want for the rear end. 

The service manage at the local Toyota dealer said they make a car-like ride for the Tacoma and that’s why it “sits down” with the softer suspension. He said Toyota doesn’t offer any upgrades to correct the issue, and recommended I talk to a local truck accessory business. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    The Bilstein Off-Road shocks are pretty stiff...ours drops less than an inch when hitched.  I like the adjustability of your solution though!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    LibrarydragonLibrarydragon Member Posts: 103
    We added air bags to our Rav, they work great.
    Sara&Carl
    2015 max s outback, TV 2011 RAV4, V6, 4x4, & 2017 Tacoma Off-road 4x4
    Soquel, CA
  • Options
    @Librarydragon wow, you found them for the RAV4 but I can’t find them for the Highlander. Go figure!

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    I added Air Lift 1000 airbags to our 2016 Sorento and haven't dragged once since we put them in. I have run them as high as 35 psi but backed down to 25 psi for a little nicer ride.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    There was only one source for them. Carl is going to find out the brand. Don't know if they will work for the highlander. 
    Sara&Carl
    Soquel, CA
  • Options
    They are Firestone coil-rite air helper springs.
    Sara&Carl
    Soquel, CA