Options

Mildew under fan cover

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
I pulled the screen from my Maxxair  Maxxfan to clean it and noticed what looks like dark spots of mildew on the bottom of the fan cover. We normally have the fan cover open all the time when the trailer is sitting in the driveway but don't run it because we don't keep the trailer plugged in. I've had some mobility issues and today is the first time I've been in the T@B in 10 weeks. :-(

Any way to prevent this? How to clean it?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    Seriously, no one else has this issue?
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Photomom not yet, but I remembered being surprised while reading the nüCamp 2017 manual at the space they devoted to mold.  There were several suggestions for preventing it, like recommending what you already do-keeping air flow going, but there were no suggestions about what to do if you find it. If and when I find it, I'll fall back on cleaning with a mild water bleach solution and if on that screen, I'd soak the screen for a few hours in the same.

Hopefully someone has a more definitive answer.
    Judi
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Photomom, I had dark spots on the outside of my AeroFlow cover after this super wet spring. I climbed a step ladder and used a long handled brush with Awesome on it and removed the stains. I couldn't get close enough to see if it was mildew. The Awesome also takes the black stains off the front of the T@B. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    The plus of the Maxxfan is that the cover isn't just a flap, it's a whole unit that raises and lowers so you can leave it open when it rains. The negative is that you cannot access the bottom side of the cover from the outside. Trying to figure how I can clean it from the inside without removing the fan assembly! (The screen was fine, just dusty, the mildew is on the bottom of the cover, i.e. the part that goes up and down.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The Aeroflow vent cover is not a flap, @Photomom. It is screwed to the rim of the vent, totally covering the vent. It is removable from the outside if needed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @Photomom, the thing I like about the Maxx Aire is how easily the whole thing comes off. It sits in a permanently mounted frame (which itself is sealed onto the Tab roof), but only four screws hold the whole fan and cover assembly to the frame.

The fan & cover assembly is sealed to the frame with a dry rubber seal.

It has to be undone from the outside so the only tricky part is reaching over the roof to remove the four screws, and lifting the fan out.

If I remember right, the cover needs to be open to access the screws, two on each side.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya