Options

What temps means WINTERIZE?

Hi - Looks like we are going to go from forest fire inferno to snow in a short period of time.  What temperature range means WINTERIZE NOW?  We're about to have nightly lows consistently around 30F for a couple of weeks (highs 50-70F).  The T@B is stored.  Should I have it winterized now? Or wait a while?  We want to take it out in October but can certainly do that winterized.  Thanks
2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
Camping under the Big Sky

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    I think that's one of those questions you won't be able to clearly answer until your pipes freeze...
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Our procedure (wet side of Washington):

Blow out and throw some RV antifreeze in the traps.  Super easy and you can leave the Alde settings in summer mode.  Then if you get a "warm" weekend, just add water and go. Repeat when you get home.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
    ScottG said:
    I think that's one of those questions you won't be able to clearly answer until your pipes freeze...

LOL.  Yeah.  That's what I'm afraid of....
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Just know that pex line (what your water lines are made of) is pretty hearty. It doesn't split at the first sign of 32F. :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2017
    PEX might be 'tough', but I've learned how to replace the black tank drain gate-valve, as well as the toilet inlet valve. They aren't made of PEX, sad to say...

Worth it to winterize, unless you have that perverse desire to get to know the Tab plumbing more intimately.  B)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    AMacAMac Member Posts: 75
    Question: where I live (coastal NC) we may have a few days below freezing each winter, and sometimes down to the teens at night. We just bought a 400, which I understand has a heated bathroom floor. Do we need to winterize or can we just turn on the alde on cold days/nights? If so, any suggested thermostat setting?
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    Yes, DH had to hug and caress the toilet quite a bit with the valve replacement. He wishes not to do that again. We agree with the @Verna philosophy! 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    AMacAMac Member Posts: 75
    edited September 2017
    db_cooper said:
    Our procedure (wet side of Washington):

Blow out and throw some RV antifreeze in the traps.  Super easy and you can leave the Alde settings in summer mode.  Then if you get a "warm" weekend, just add water and go. Repeat when you get home.
    Besides the "p" trap in the bathroom floor, where are the others? Under both sinks, I would assume, any others?
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @AMac, Yes, the sink(s). Also pour some down the toilet as well, allowing some to remain on TOP of the seal. I pour enough in so it also gets to the gate valves for the black & gray tanks as well. The gate valves can crack if/when water remains standing on the trailer side of the valve and freezes. Always better to go on the safe, rather than sorry side of things when winterizing. Just make sure when you blow out the lines, to use a pressure regulator for your air hose.!!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
    We now have winter weather advisories and a winter storm watch for areas very near us.  I guess we'll get the T@B cleaned out this weekend and winterized next week.  This lousy weather better put the darn fires out.
  • Options
    @gophergrad, Absolutely agree with the fire situation. Liz & I did a road trip yesterday up by Sandpoint & Priest River/Lake, northern Idaho area, returning by Farragut State Park &  back to Spokane. The further north we went, the smokier it got. Actually have rain in the forecast later this week. Just hoping it comes to fruition!!! I also saw the weather forecast in your direction....looks like it's gonna get chilly. I don't even wanna use the "S" word yet. I have too much to do getting prepared for it!!! :o:s
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @AMac, as ericnliz mentioned, the gate valves. I didn't pay much attention to that part of winterizing, and had to replace one. The water can sit in the valve mechanism, where the 'gate' slides, and freeze, and crack the assembly.
    Best to work the valve open and closed a few times while it's in contact with the antifreeze, so's to replace any water in there with antifreeze.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    CybrarianCybrarian Member Posts: 4
    What we need is some Myth Busters to test the proper conditions and how long and what parts will actually break / freeze.  :-)  
    Cy | No T@b yet | No TV yet | Dreaming of a T@B | Danville, VA   B) 
  • Options
    jeffinatlgajeffinatlga Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I am a new 2016 Tab S Max owner. Where Eric menttioned " Just make sure when you blow out the lines, to use a pressure regulator for your air hose.!!", does anyone know what lbs. of pressure to regualate to? I just bought a pancake air compressor, but have no clue how much air pressure to use.

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Hi, I am a new 2016 Tab S Max owner. Where Eric menttioned " Just make sure when you blow out the lines, to use a pressure regulator for your air hose.!!", does anyone know what lbs. of pressure to regualate to? I just bought a pancake air compressor, but have no clue how much air pressure to use.

No more then 50 psi.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    @jeffinatlga , 50 PSI MAX!!! Probably doesn't even take that much to blow out the lines, but I use the pressure regulator screwed into the city water line, AND set my compressor to 50 PSI with the regulator on the compressor just to be on the safe side as to not over pressurize the system.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    To answer the original post.....At, or BEFORE the first sign of freezing in my humble opinion. It really doesn't take that long to either winterize, or de-winterize (If/when the weather permits) if you use the blow-out method & add antifreeze to the drains, traps, toilet & waste gates. I'd say maybe 30 minutes even if you double check your work. 30 minutes of your time is a LOT cheaper than the repercussions of frozen/cracked, or broken water lines, valves, or fittings. ;)
    Just remember, you can still camp with your trailer in cold weather. Just don't fill any water lines, or tanks. Take water with you. You can STILL enjoy the heat from the Alde without water!!! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    jeffinatlgajeffinatlga Member Posts: 5
    Interesting...so the Aldi can provide heat without any water? I am new to this and was thinking that the Aldi provided heat by heating water.
  • Options
    Yes, the Alde unit can provide heat without water.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    The Alde circulates glycol to provide the heat to the cabin.  It has a hot water tank (about 2.5 gallons) that provides hot water for sinks and showers.  In the winter after you wintetize and drain all systems of water, you can still enjoy a heated cabin via the radiator system.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SharonKSharonK Member Posts: 22
    When using the Alde without water to heat, do you leave all the valves in the winterized positions? 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    SharonK said:
    When using the Alde without water to heat, do you leave all the valves in the winterized positions? 
    Yes. The plumbing that circulates the glycol through the heating units is completely separate from the domestic water system.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    FoxFox Member Posts: 12
    So, do I understand correctly????? I live in MI and it will most definitely freeze before January 1 here.  I’m going to FL and other southern states in January and February.  So, I winterize for November and December and then flush out water system for Jan. And Feb. and then re-winterize when I return in March?  Are there specific steps to all winterizing that must be done on the forum?  So far, I can’t locate any.  Any help would be appreciated.  
  • Options
    Fox, find "Categories" in the left column.  Depending on your device, you may need to turn an iPad horizontal or reduce the screen size if on a PC to locate that area.  Near the bottom of the column is "User Manuals/PDfs"...  Open that and the 9th thread down addresses Winterization.  Lots of good instructions there.  I created kind of a tutorial called "Drain, blow and fill" that you may find useful as a novice.

Sharon
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2018
    Fox said:
    So, do I understand correctly????? I live in MI and it will most definitely freeze before January 1 here.  I’m going to FL and other southern states in January and February.  So, I winterize for November and December and then flush out water system for Jan. And Feb. and then re-winterize when I return in March?  Are there specific steps to all winterizing that must be done on the forum?  So far, I can’t locate any.  Any help would be appreciated.  
    Correct, you will need to winterize here in Michigan at the end of the camping season and preferably when it is still warmer outside as it simplifies the process and eliminates the stress of having to quickly winterize.  If you have a small pancake compressor it will make blowing out the lines a lot easier.  There is a brass fitting you can purchase on Amazon that has a bike pump style valve end (Schrader end), screws into the city water end of the trailer and allows you to use a compressor.  20-25# of pressure will blow the lines out, etc.  

What year is your trailer?   There is a wealth of information available within the forum if you use the search function above in the upper right hand corner.  We can help you out with more information, but this subject has been well documented and you most likely will find in depth answers to the above easily by doing a quick search.  

Where are you located in Michigan?  We live in the Howell area.  If you were in close proximity I could help you out.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Fox, @Michigan_Mike has offered to help you in his above post. He also lives in Michigan. I’d take him up on his offer as he has a lot of knowledge and he is a great guy. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159
    Our 2017 Outback was totally crushed by a tree and we're probably going to replace it with a 400 Boondock. Are the 400s able to be winterized by the Blowout method, which I found easy to do with our Outback?
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    @GrandmasKid - yes, you can blow out the 400s, but the 2021 model with the Nautilus sounds like it is just as easy to add antifreeze to the plumbing without using the fresh water tank.