Options

Converter won't stop running

We arrived in our campground in late afternoon today, plugged into the campground shore power and the converter fan has been running constantly, over three hours.   Is this normal?    Prior to leaving on our trip yesterday, I was plugged into shore power at home and I'm sure the battery was charged up.   We've been on the road two days, and camped last night without electricity, but we used minimal power.......only occasional use of the battery for running the water pump.   I have a new Group 27 AGM battery.   
2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    What is the temp in and out of the trailer?
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Right now the temp is in the upper 60's, in and out, was lower 70's before that.   I just checked and the converter has stopped running, but I've never had it run so long before.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    It runs when charging the battery until it reaches float level. This can take several hours depending on the degree of discharge. It will also come on if you have a high amp draw from something like the frig on 12 volts.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    With mine it seems the fan kicks in whenever the amp load is somewhere >5-10A range.   Like when the 12v fridge is running.  It's not variable speed either, meaning, it's on full blast, or just off.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    That's what my converter did when it went bad - the fan ran on and on without ever shutting off. Suggest you look into replacing it...hopefully under warranty. Good luck.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    edited June 2019
    The converter is always 'running' when connected to shore power. What you hear is the cooling fan running and it will run as long as the internal temperature is above a certain level. This is influenced by the current load including battery charging and any other loads like the refrigerator, lights, TV, etc as well as the external temperature. Despite having your battery fully charged your battery may have been discharging while you were driving if your refrigerator was on. Check to see if your tow vehicle has the 'charge line' connected. This will keep your battery topped up while driving.