Options

Wiring the TV

scubascuba Member Posts: 87
I have been trying to figure out the best way to have my FJ wired to tow my 2014 T@B CSS. I currently have a 4way flat setup and need to switch it to 7way. Suggestions?
Life is good! Great in a T@B!
2014 CS-S Maxx

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Take it to a pro, someone that knows what they are doing. You want not only the signals wired correctly, but also want a lead wired from your TV's battery to the 7way connecter in order to charge your T@B's battery while in transit. If your dealer cannot do the setup for you, they should know someone who can.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Thanks, Cy! I have a solar panel to charge the battery, is it still necessary to connect the lead wire to the TV battery?
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    No, you should hook up your leads to the trailer battery. What year T@B do you have? If it's a newer trailer there should be a solar quick disconnect either on the trailer cowling where the battery is stored or right on the battery box. If not, it would be easy enough to mount a quick disconnect on the front cowling of your T@B for easy connection. I mounted two of the Zamp quick disconnects on my diamond plate tool box on my Silver Shadow. Red is the positive lead and black is your negative or ground wire.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    2014. Thanks Mike. I think Cyclonic was referring to the wiring for the 7way plug I need to have installed on my tow vehicle. Hopkins has a wiring kit that will convert my 4 flat to a 7 way. It doesn't look like it contains a wire to be connected to the TV battery for charging T@B battery. But I am clueless in the matter. Need to get this done before picking up my T@B next weekend 4hrs away.
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Scuba, I took my Escape to a truck accessory business in Greenwood for them to run the wire, with fuse, from the battery to the 7-pin plug on the rear of the Escape. If you're not familiar with wiring a plug, it would be better to take it to a "professional". Make sure they put a fuse on the wire, near the battery. And, they also converted the 4 flat to be the 7 pin plug. I had both done at the same time. If you don't have time before you leave to pick up your T@B, you can buy a temporary adapter 4 flat to 7 pin, but there will be no charging of the T@B battery from your TV's battery. I hope that helps.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks, Verna! You wouldn't be talking about Tillman's would you?
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited March 2014
    I guess I blew the last response as I thought you were talking about the solar panel in the second half of your questions..... Agree with Verna as you need to have a pro wire up the seven pronged plug or someone competent enough to do it. One of our members at last summer's rally found out the hard way as the individual who wired hers stuck a fuse beneath her vehicle and had it hidden! The fuse should be up near the battery in full view since they do blow if something shorts out.

The adapter below is what you need and they do come in different (but similar) configurations.

TSC has the adapters available too and that will get you by until you can get it wired. Make sure you have a good ground as the white wire will be the ground and if the lights don't work it is probably because that wire is not attached to a good grounding point.

Good luck!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Scuba, get an appointment at Tillman's and they will treat you right. They even put on my after-market license plate holder and wired in the light for me...for a fee of course, but it saved me having to figure it out.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Scheduled for Wednesday. Not really looking forward to having electric brake control attached to my dash.
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    Are you going to have it done at Tillman 's? If so and you're waiting on it, I can come there and we can talk camping.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Having it done locally while at work. Would love to meet sometime to talk T@Bbing!
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    Scuba, I have a Silver Shadow 5x10. I'm an Administrator, so I spend time on both forums. I love to talk camping!! We'll meet, especially if you join the Hoosier Tearjerkers. They have gatherings 3 or 4 times a year. The first weekend in April will be the postponed Hoosier Shiveree that didn't happen in January. We'll be at the Mounds State Park in Anderson, IN. Arrive Saturday, spend the night with a pitch-in dinner and a pitch-in breakfast on Sunday. As far as I know, there will be 6 to 10 campers there. There were 7 of us at last year's Shiveree in January at Brown County SP.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Cool! I am so up for that! Email some info? sebrosmer@yahoo.com
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    Sent an email titled Hoosier Shiveree and Hoosier Tearjerkers.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Awesome! Thanks.
    2014 CS-S Maxx