Options

New(er) Grand Cherokees

4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
edited October 2017 in Trailer & Towing
is anyone using the newer grande Cherokee (14-17) as a TV? I'd like to hear how it performs.  Specs look good, but real world insights are the litmus tests!  I am looking at the diesel in particular, but I am mostly interested in knowing how the "truck" holds the weight. Sags, etc...my Rubicon is getting long in the tooth... :s
TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
2018 320S Outback

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    We have a 2015 GC. Probably 10,000 miles towing our T@B we could not be more pleased with its performance. Would certainly buy it again. It's the 4.6  V6  13 to 15 miles per gallon towing.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    @Dalehelman how does it take the tongue weight? Does it nose up, or does it ride level? Btw...been meaning to tell you, and share the pic...I completed the black/gray "vent flush" mod using the dual gang outdoor electric cover.  In my case I hade to make several modifications to the cover it's self, but the results are good. Thanks for the idea!
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @Dalehelman does your Jeep have a factory tow package with transmission cooler?
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    @Dalehelman does your Jeep have a factory tow package with transmission cooler?
    Yes factory tow package. My tongue weight is just under 200lbs and Jeep is perfectly level or slightly nose down at highway speeds.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    We met a family towing a 22' Airstream with a Grand Cherokee diesel and they really liked it.Averaging 15 mpg overall, really nice vehicle. Then we saw one on a dealers lot and it was 78,000.00 CDN. A little (well maybe a lot) too steep for us. 
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    A few year back, a friend of mine was towing a car trailer with a mod jeep to event in the north east.  He liked it very much.  That set-up was heavier that a T@B for sure.  As for wieght distribution, it is more a load balance issue that a tow rig capacity issue.  If the trailer tongue is at the right heght, all should be level.

Also, my ex-brother in law used to pull a 12" pop-up trailer with his pentastar GC and just loved it.

you should love it.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    @Luckyj my '09 Jeep(JKU Rubicon) doesn't have the pentastar V6, sadly, as I hear they are an improvement over the V6 that is in mine.  My jeep is a VERY capable off-road vehical, and fun to drive in town, and, in my opinion, good for only short to medium trips with the t@b.  If the roads were flat, different story, but alas...we have hills...45 mph with the flashers on in the right lane is not my cup of tea! Lol
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    I would argue that the new Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango are the most tow capable midsize SUVs you could buy, when properly equipped.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    We have the jeep cherokee limited with factory tow package (v6 pentastar) pulling our c@setta (17 outback). We have towed over 6000 miles and it works great. Very pleased with this combination. No sway when passing (uphill!!) slower traffic, tongue weight is around 225 lbs. Trailer is level when hitched. Fuel economy is around 15-16 depending on speed and conditions.

All in all, a great tow vehicle and significantly cheaper than the GC.
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • Options
    The GC V6 with factory tow package is rated to 7400lbs. Capable of handling the new T@B 400
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    4ncar said:
    @Luckyj my '09 Jeep(JKU Rubicon) doesn't have the pentastar V6, sadly, as I hear they are an improvement over the V6 that is in mine.  My jeep is a VERY capable off-road vehical, and fun to drive in town, and, in my opinion, good for only short to medium trips with the t@b.  If the roads were flat, different story, but alas...we have hills...45 mph with the flashers on in the right lane is not my cup of tea! Lol
    @4ncar oups, I forgot to mention the my friend was pulling the mod jeep in the car trailer with a disel GC.

perso, I tow a modified T@G max outback with a 2005 LJ wrangler with a 6 sp manual. Yep, can be slow up-hill or in srtong wind, but can not give up that no roof feeling when traveling, even long distance.  Alaska and new foundland are on our bucket list with the wrangler :)
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    @Luckyj you have a very desirable Jeep, sir!  I have many friends who would sell their souls for an LJ! I'm on the fence whether to sell my Jk, buy the GC diesel for towing, and just keep on "jeepin" with the rubi!
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    edited October 2017
    We have a 2014 JGC with the 3.6 V6.  We have the factory tow package.  It is supposed to have automatic rear suspension leveling.  The vehicle works great.  My only regret is not spending the additional $6k to get the Diesel.  The spec for ours is 6,200 lbs with 620 tongue wt.  The Diesel is around a 1000 more.  The Diesel will get to max torque at much lower RPM.  Go for it and you won't look back.
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    I just picked it up: 2014 GC Summit with the 3L diesel.  It has way more luxury items then I ever wanted, but it does have the 3 stage ride height and the factory towing package, and of course 420 ft/lbs of delicious torque!  Tomorrow with the first light I will hitch the trailer and cruise around to see how it is! The drive home was sweet, and where I am used to 16-17 Mpg on my JKU, I was getting 26 on the ride home in the GC! Pleased as punch!
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    JdcoupleJdcouple Member Posts: 96
    Please keep us informed on milage, towing acceleration and towing impression. I'm shopping a new towing rig and really want a diesel but don't want a full size truck. Had them but they just don't get the mileage.  

2017 T@B Outback, 2000 Excursion V10 4x4