Options

Honda EU2000i generator accessories?

Posting to a few forums. Someone posted a while back somewhere online about useful Honda generator accessories. We just bought a EU2000i generator for camping and also to run the fridge and furnace during our inevitable power outages.

Does anyone remember that post or could you point me to the information? Google search of this site hasn't turned up anything and heaven knows you can't find anything on FB. Or, what accessories do you have and recommend? I know there is a handle protector and I vaguely recall something you can use to record engine run time. I seem to recall the gentleman listed quite a few items.

John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Photomom, check Amazon.  I just ordered a few accessories for mine.  Honda oil (I’ve heard it is important to use their oil), a plastic funnel that bends for changing oil and refilling oil, and I forget what else. They do have a cover (already have one), a handle for security, etc. 

Check this thread http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/2437/honda-generator-neutral-bonding/p1

If you search for Honda here and weed out the threads for the Honda Vehicles, there’s 20 pages of threads, many with good info about the Honda generators. 

My power was out for 45 minutes last night, but it sure was refreshing to know that if it was out for long periods of time that I could just go out to the driveway, turn on the propane and the Alde (after I moved the cover away from the exhaust).
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Yeah, amazon didn't turn up much. Will keep looking. The guy at the shop we bought it from said to use regular good quality 10W30 motor oil. He did recommend gasoline without ethanol (most stations around here sell 10% ethanol), what has your experience been with gas?

Our electrician neighbor is coming over to install some doohickeys so we can easily hook up the generator and run select items when the power goes out (which it seems to do 4-5 times a year lately.) He also installs whole house generators but said they start at $7000. Umm, nope. If we can camp, we can survive a few days without power as long as we can keep the fridge and sump pump working.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I got the generator late this summer and haven’t used it.  Last night’s power outage reminded me that exercising the generator was on my list but I wanted to read first. I am positive the previous owner took excellent care of it, so I am sure it will start and run.  I was going to sit down and read the User Manual about which gas to buy. I do not know where I can buy non-ethanol gas around here. 

It’s for the house, just needing to run a couple of space heaters if the power goes out in the winter.  I doubt that it will run the furnace.  I really don’t keep a lot of food in the fridge, so the T@B’s fridge and the ARB will be plenty of room to take care of the contents. No sump pump so I don’t have to worry about that.  Two space heaters will keep the parts of the house with water warm enough, and that’s all I need.  I survived 2 days of no power in Jan 2014 in sub zero temps and very low windchills but I don’t want to do that again!  49* in the living room was not fun!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    blackoaktreeblackoaktree Member Posts: 23
    Check out the lowpro lock down mount for the generator. It’s about the best security you can get that I found. Then get parts to setup an extended gas tank. I put a six gallon tank on one side of my platform and the generator on the other. Six days in the Colorado mountains and it was a perfect setup. 
    Josh Orth.
    Certified RV Technician
    jomrvt.com
    2021 T@B 320 CS-S
  • Options
    Our furnace is gas and we just need to power the control board and the fan. I don't think we could run it, the fridge, and the sump pump at the same time but that would be okay. Our last outage lasted 3 days and the house was 45 by the time power came back on. Managed to survive with a wood burning fireplace and Luci lights. Wasn't fun though.
  • Options
    HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    A lot of power equipment these days runs lean to conform with emissions regulations.  The newer fuel injectors get clogged by ethanol over time.  There is a really good power equipment dealer near me that services all kinds of equipment.  The owner said the number one service issue they address is clogged injectors from fuel with ethanol in it.  He strongly suggests ethanol free fuel.  You can get an additive that neutralizes the ethanol, but it isn’t particularly cheap.

When I store my motorcycle for any length of time I always fill it with ethanol free fuel and add some fuel stablizer.  
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
  • Options
    Finally figured out that one thing I needed is called an "hour meter." Tons of them online but most don't have a brand name on them and the product descriptions are full of grammatical errors, which is not a good sign of quality. The Hardline products look promising, are assembled in the USA, and when I emailed the company to see which of their meters they recommended for the Honda generator they got right back to me with this one: https://www.hardlineproducts.com/product/hour-meter/ It works using induction and we won't have to modify the generator to install it. Will report back when I put it on and try it.
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    Check out the lowpro lock down mount for the generator. It’s about the best security you can get that I found. Then get parts to setup an extended gas tank. I put a six gallon tank on one side of my platform and the generator on the other. Six days in the Colorado mountains and it was a perfect setup. 

Lowpro Lockdown welded to frame

2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    We don't intend to to take it every time we do camping so I don't plan to mount it on the trailer. I do have one of the handle guards in my shopping cart and we will secure it with a heavy chain when we use it. I also plan to sew a cover out of some nondescript fabric to use when it's in the back of the SUV.