Route suggestions for a West Coast journey

I'm planning a trip in April to an area around Pt Reyes Station in CA from here in Olympia, WA. The strategy at present is to get there fairly quickly, I-5 through Oregon and CA down to Napa and then cross over to Petaluma. On the way home I'd like to meander a bit more.
I'm looking for recommendations of places to stay as well as places to avoid with a T@B behind me. I'll be leaving Pt Reyes area on a Monday noon-ish. I could head up Hwy 1 or cross over to 101, and when I get to Oregon, continue on the coast if possible. 
Any suggestions from folks who have pulled a trailer through these parts? I drove a car with no trailer 24 years ago and I have some vague memories of switchbacks that came remarkably close to the coastal cliffs, but that's scarier on the southbound lane.
Thanks! John
Olympia, WA
2018 T@B 320S Sofitel 
2017 Tacoma SR5 AC 4x4 w/ 6 cyl Towing Package

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    The Oregon coast is worth every minute you spend on it, and should not be hard to tow on.  The ride north from Pt Reyes on 1 can be very slow because of the switchbacks, as you pointed out. I drove it about three years ago (without towing) and found it beautiful and a bit tedious.  If you have lots of time, go for it, totally worth it.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    If you have the 320S model you might take a look at harvesthost.com. That way you could have a more varied experience. You have to have a self contained unit, not a clamshell model. I’ve heard good things about them.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • johntreacyjohntreacy Member Posts: 31
    I think I'm going to focus on the Oregon coast. The Oregon State Parks look like they have a lot to offer for good value. http://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=visit.dsp_find. I still may take the route through Fort Bragg, but if I get a late start I'll cut over to 101 instead and take the inland through the redwoods. 
    Harvesthosts.com looks interesting, but for this trip there is only one point on the map that I'll be going near. I'm curious though to see where some of the other destinations are - not sure I'm "$49 curious" :-)

Olympia, WA
    2018 T@B 320S Sofitel 

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    I think I'm going to focus on the Oregon coast. The Oregon State Parks look like they have a lot to offer for good value. http://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=visit.dsp_find

I went from Florence to Tillamook last summer. Be sure to book weekend stays at Oregon Parks ASAP. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • johntreacyjohntreacy Member Posts: 31
    Marceline said:
    I went from Florence to Tillamook last summer. Be sure to book weekend stays at Oregon Parks ASAP. 
    Yes. Fortunately my trip is M-F and I was lucky to find nice sites at the Oregon parks along the way. 
    Olympia, WA
    2018 T@B 320S Sofitel