Options

No microwave???

2»

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @GailandJohn under the Products and Accessories section is the post Baking With The Q (ScottG posted a link above). He had this down to a fine art, and left us with instructions and great ideas for a variety of uses. I might get a grill this year and try it out. The thought of fresh baked biscuits or scones is tempting!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We have a toaster oven that we bring when we have shore power, but we're wanting to do more boondocking so we purchased a nice portable propane grill. It has a temp gauge on the cover so I'm going to try using it as an oven. Also, I've noticed that dutch oven cooking is quite popular, so I want to start learning to use one as well. We have a nice stainless steel stove top pressure cooker, so I'm planning to start using it on camping trips. As someone said, it's all about determining your needs and then figuring out what works for you.
    On Facebook there is an excellent group called Camp Dutch Oven and Skillet Chef. The group owner is a former T@Bber (now an Alto owner) and lots of T@B people follow the group. If you check the files there's a document for newbie CDO chefs.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    Jen @Sandiegogal and I, take an all of the above approach. We have Honda generator on the front of the Tab and keep a microwave in the back of the Sorento. So when were on long trips, like the one last Spring to Yellowstone, we can stop and nuke Jen's vegan burrito from Trader Joe's I think. We also like the microwave to heat up the bed buddy neck heat pad, for when our backs or neck goes out. (Seems to be a regular thing on trips Tabazona last year) We also bring a convection toaster oven. We use to grab the one out of kitchen, but now we have one dedicated to the Tab. Jen will bake potatoes at camp, if she doesn't make them a head of time.
    We also cook with pots and pans, we aren't really in to camping food, but would rather make the same food we have at home like spaghetti. We'll grill sausages on our road grill  (chicken for me, vegan for her) and I heat water up for spaghetti on the road grill while she heats up homemade marinara sauce and cooks the vegetables in the Tab. Toaster oven is always outside on the lagun table and Road Grill get set up with a grill on one side and stove grate on the other. We even have a 1500 watt inverter if there is enough sun to recharge the batteries so that's more of a summer thing. We prefer hook-up but are set up to do whatever we want however we want to do it. We have baked turkey for thanksgiving dinner, grilled steaks, pollo assada and almost always grill burgers on every trip. Make eggs and grilled potatoes. We even heat up leftovers in the microwave, if that suites 

2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    SandiegogalSandiegogal Member Posts: 127
    @dsatwork Don't forget our solar oven.  We've only taken it on one trip so far but need to start including it on longer ones ;) 

Living in our Airstream, traveling in our 2017 T@B Basic S 
    Married to Dave-aka, ds@work
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @dsatwork Don't forget our solar oven.  We've only taken it on one trip so far but need to start including it on longer ones ;) 
    Yep.....all of the above
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    gooselady said:
    No microwave for me, as I camp off grid, but I LOVE my Outback oven for baking.  It makes the best cookies!  I usually cook using a cast iron skillet on the stove for one pot meals.  I travel very light, don't even pack my Weber Q.
    Off the wall question: How does the thermostat attach to the top of the Outback oven? Does it just screw through a hole in the lid? 

http://www.backpackerspantry.com/products/outback-oven/outback-oven-parts-and-accessories/outback-oven-ultralight-thermometer.html

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Marceline said:
    gooselady said:
    No microwave for me, as I camp off grid, but I LOVE my Outback oven for baking.  It makes the best cookies!  I usually cook using a cast iron skillet on the stove for one pot meals.  I travel very light, don't even pack my Weber Q.
    Off the wall question: How does the thermostat attach to the top of the Outback oven? Does it just screw through a hole in the lid? 

http://www.backpackerspantry.com/products/outback-oven/outback-oven-parts-and-accessories/outback-oven-ultralight-thermometer.html

Yes. It's a thermometer, not a thermostat. You control the temperature by adjusting the flame. Your stove must be capable of running with a VERY low flame - our Coleman 2 burner propane stove works but the T@B stove and our one burner butane stove run too hot.
  • Options
    Marceline said:
    gooselady said:

Oh, I just noticed that the link is for something different - this thermometer just sits on the pan lid.