Options

Bike Racks

The one challenge with the T@B is carrying bikes. You can't place a rack easily on the back of the T@B (though I had thoughts of how to construct a hitch there), and I am not so sure about LG's platform rack that goes on the tongue. I considered getting an adapter that basically gives you two hitches. Finally, I came across this Swagman towing rack. It was a decent price and attaches to your ball mount.

It does require an extended ball mount (this Reese 10" mount was $20 at my local RV dealer).

Earlier this week I took it on a tour of the neighborhood and have no problem with it, no matter how tight I cut the wheel.

So this is another option for folks that want to have a bike.

image image

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
Sterling, VA

Comments

• Options
    benderennsbenderenns Member Posts: 41
    Thanks Cyclonic!

I will check this out...
    Chris and Phil -  Sally D., 2015 Q Maxx, Toyota 4Runner, Sidney, BC, CANADA
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited March 2014
    With no bikes mounted, it is easily dropped down enough to open my hatch, even with the trailer hitched, it just makes it.  The clearance is such that you could do that with the bikes on it, but it would be a struggle.

I did find that I needed to extend the brake cable to better reach as well, since I now have a longer ball hitch. Other then that, it worked very well on our first trip out.

I think I am going to have my neighbor the welder permenatly fix the rack's base to the ball hitch.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I bought a hitch extender at Harbor Freight and had it welded onto my bike rack tongue mount.  Initially it was too close to the galley and I risked damaging the galley door, but this took care of my issue.  I also use a hitch quieter as well and my set-up has a hinge pin that I can pull out, thus allowing the bike rack to lean over and be at ground level.  This offer additional room for the larger Silver Shadow door to open up.  The hitch quieter works well in eliminating the tongue slop (holds the rack firmly in place without bounce) and has allowed me peace of mind while traveling with my bikes.   

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Neil, I am not sure it will drop far enough for you, but once the snow melts off again I'll see if I can get you some measurements.

I got the rack on Overstock, $92 with free shipping.

Sterling, VA
  • Options

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    lilbuddylilbuddy Member Posts: 10
    After studying the forum and discussing the bike rack options on Facebook, we purchased the Swagman towing rack pictured above.  I woild say that while it sort of works, there are some issues with it including the following:  1. This rack works great for one bike but is a challenge with more than one bike.  When hauling two bikes, they must be hung so close together that they scratch each other while towing.  There is no way to carry more than two bikes because the crank will hit the bikes when turning and you can't space two bikes apart for the same reason.  2. The screw on bar that holds the bikes is cumbersome.  It works, but not as easy to manage as other racks. and 3. The rack is very heavy since it's made of steal it is much heavier than our other bike rack.  This adds considerable tongue weight while towing.  In summary, we're still using it, but not sure I would recommend it or buy it again.
    Craig and Mary 2015 T@B S Max
  • Options
    It is a matter of positioning the bikes, but I have not scratched them and can get three on if need be.  When using the rack I make sure the crank is turned so that the handle is at the lowest position, again I have not had any problems.

It is heavy, and I totally agree with the screws on top, a total pain in the butt :s  Were I to get one again I would have gotten the upgraded model with the quick release, but for the cost this is still the best solution I have seen.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    kentnatkentnat Member Posts: 1
    Hi. First post. I wanted to share something I found works for a TAB bike rack. I have a 2008 Tab and picked up a Malone BC2 Pilot rack that works well on the tongue. It's made for car trunks but very configurable. The
    bikes are held low and don't move much at all. Here's a few pics.
  • Options
    TheBellHopTheBellHop Member Posts: 18
    How do you have this attached to the tongue? We'd love to see pics of that. Thanks!
    2015 Little Guy T@B 320 Max White with Red trim
    Pulled by a 2023 Toyota Tundra
    Leaves on T@bventures from the Snoqualmie Valley, WA

• Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    edited June 2021
    I have an iSi carrier. http://www.isi-carriers.com/index.html.  I  can disconnect the carrier from the hitch receiver and attach it to the trailer. Rather than buying iSi’s bolt on I bought their adapter and had a fab shop weld up a mount. The bike carrier pivots on the adapter. Pivots forward for access to tongue box. When on vehicle pivots down so I have access to back of car.

next week will be the official test of mount. 

The adapter. 

Tack welding to test fit

Painted mount

Swapping between car and trailer
    https://youtu.be/fpOPiUuuvYA
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO