Options

Northern Montana

Planning a road trip out west this summer... Has anyone ever travelled/camped along highway 2 in northern Montana? Any place you would recommend or steer clear of?
Life takes us unexpected places. Love brings us home.

2018 T@B 320 CS (white w. black) | 2015 Santa Fe XL (white w. black) | near Toronto, ON

Comments

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Fort Peck Recreation Area is great.............have stayed at the Corps of Engineer Campground a couple of times
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    Avoid Browning Mt.  Pretty rough area.  If you're heading to Glacier, stock up in Cut Bank instead.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @jcfaber1, "Avoid Browning MT..."
    Rough how? Just curious.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    South of Glacier on US 2, town called Essex has an Inn called Izaak Walton. If one is into trains, this is a hidden must stop. Great Inn, restaurant and history. There is a walking bridge over the train tracks and large siding, plus some interesting train sights. Not sure of camp locations near by, but it is within the NF.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• Options
    gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2018
    @ChanW -  I don't know what the previous poster meant by "rough."

Browning is the headquarters for the Blackfeet Indian Reservation and the only incorporated town on the Reservation. The population is probably a thousand or so.  

I would call Browning poor and depressed.

2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
    Camping under the Big Sky
  • Options
    gophergrad, I see.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    I found it to be squallor, packs of wild dogs running in town, intoxicated people in the street.  Did not stop.  My honest observation.
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    Sounds pretty rough. And sad.

That reminds me of our visit to Dodge City.

It was recommended to us by a local rancher (who was actually from Berkeley, but that's another story), that we check out Dodge City on our way back through Kansas. 

Before we pulled into town, we'd been imagining swinging double door saloons, and maybe some kind of reference to Dodge's importance in the history of 'the way west', so to speak.

Didn't see that at all, but saw simply a struggling small city, maybe on the road to recovering from a downturn in the economies that used to be its livelihood. The fathers of the city had obviously not seen any value in preserving the artifacts that would illustrate what had made Dodge City important in its early days. Too bad. It looked like every other struggling small town...
    jcfaber1 said:
    I found it to be squallor, packs of wild dogs running in town, intoxicated people in the street.  Did not stop.  My honest observation.
    John

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    I had a friend who once stayed in Dodge City so he could get up the next morning and say, "Lets get the ----out of Dodge!"
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Yep, could have been quoting us! (That was the one fun thing about Dodge!)
    I had a friend who once stayed in Dodge City so he could get up the next morning and say, "Lets get the ----out of Dodge!"

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya