Load leveling Hitch & Sway bar & TV’s?!

Hello There All....
We are in the process of purchasing a T@b 400, and I am doing all my research.....
Our TV is a 2016 Ford Explorers...
.....so, I was looking for some input/experience from you Veteran 400 Owners ....
Anyone Else have an Explorer as a TV (or what are you using) ?
Useing an LLH & SB ?
It seems the ANDERSON LLH covers both aspects well, and is an innovative product.

Thanx in advance for any advice !!!
Mario

Comments

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    edited April 2018
    IMHO If you’re trailer is loaded properly ie tongue 15%-20% of total weight not to exceed TV or trailer  specifications neither of those things are needed. I would put my money to better use. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    X2
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • GoOutsideGoOutside Member Posts: 3
    Thanx for the input !!!!
    I am probably over thinking it.....
  • rioosoriooso Member Posts: 27
    I have found that the Anderson Hitch is one awesome install. I have towed trailers over the years and..... I hate them! I purchased a T@B 400 and had an anti-sway on a standard ball. I replaced it with the Anderson hitch. I drive a Toyota 4runner and it turned towing my trailer into an absolute pleasure. The way the load leveler works is different than any other system. It dramatically reduced the porpoising effect one gets from the standard load levelers and the anti-sway has no bars to bend so you can do sharps turns with no ill effect. Worth every dime I paid for it. Installation was easy and because I could cut 3 links out of the chain the tongue  box was not in the way plus, the hitch is very "C" channel friendly. Some times I will just hook it up and drive a couple of miles to keep the tires on the trailer from going bad...... Amazing product!
  • TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 159
    I got a friction sway bar for towing my 320 outback with my Forester.  I’ve towed with it and without, and it makes a very big difference on the highway in buffeting winds and heavy buffeting traffic.  I will never leave home without it. 

I think any vehicle on the small end of the towing range would be smart to try these kinds of gadgets. They really aren’t that expensive when compared to the possible danger of losing control at speed.

You don’t want the tail to wag the dog.
  • TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
    Nobody needs sway control until it's to late. Better safe than sorry.
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Tow our 400 with Nissan Frontier Crew cab.  No need for sway bar as long as you keep the proper weight on the front!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 270
    The Anderson Hitch looks pretty interesting. I might want to look in to it.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • rajamarrajamar Member Posts: 112
    ChrisK said:
    See this re: Anderson Hitches and Atwood couplers:
    http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142/how-do-you-identify-brand-and-model-of-your-coupler-128901.html
    2016 T@B S - TV 2004 Toyota Sienna
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    Doers anyone know what model Atwood hitch is on the TAB 400?
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    edited November 2019
    Don't forget axle loading.
    Do suspect the T@B 400 will require more owners to consider weight distribution hitch systems than we have seen on the lighter 320 models.  While everyone checks tow vehicle 'tow rating' and learn about sway control, seems monitoring the axle loading gets overlooked.

While reading a Facebook thread was surprised to find a Honda Ridgeline could need a weight distribution hitch to tow an empty T@B 400 due to rear axle loading . . . and things only get worse as the Ridgeline and T@B 'extra stuff' gets loaded on.

T@B 400 owners should really research their tow vehicle & T@B combination and visit a Truck Scale to confirm they are safety towing within their vehicle limits.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 270
    rajamar said:
    ChrisK said:
    See this re: Anderson Hitches and Atwood couplers:
    http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142/how-do-you-identify-brand-and-model-of-your-coupler-128901.html
    What coupler do we have. Mine is an early model 2014 320. How do we identify it.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
    Doers anyone know what model Atwood hitch is on the TAB 400?
    You can look on the hitch itself and it will tell you the model number. Anderson does specify that certain hitches will not work but I have a 2017 and it was not a problem. 
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    GoOutside said:
    . . . in the process of purchasing a T@b 400,
    . . . Our TV is a 2016 Ford Explorers...
    .....so, I was looking for some input/experience from you Veteran 400 Owners ....
    Anyone Else have an Explorer as a TV (or what are you using) ?
    Useing an LLH & SB ?
    It seems the ANDERSON LLH covers both aspects well, and is an innovative product.
    GoOutside said:
    I am probably over thinking it.....
    Don't believe you are over thinking on this one.  2016 Ford Towing guide says the Explorer (2wd & AWD) need a weight distribution hitch if trailer is >3500 #.  So with a fully loaded T@B 400 you would be at/near the 3500#.

So doing a deep dive research is a good idea.  Suggest you:
    get TV door sticker GVWR, GAWR Front & Rear
    take some measurements; TV rear axle to hitch ball, T@B axle to hitch ball
    estimate your real-world TV and T@B loaded for camping GVW
    also do a worse case at capacity GVW

Now run the on-line Weight Carrying VS. Weight Distribution calculator.
    https://www.ajdesigner.com/apptrailertow/weightdistributionhitch.php
    My guess is you will see better/safer TV axle loading with a weight distribution hitch since the T@B 400 is near your TV weight carrying hitch limit.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    Thanks MuttonChops..... awesome link. I have found with my TAB 400 at the proper level, which is ever so slightly tongue up, I weigh in at 3100 pounds with full water tank I have a tongue weight of 420 pounds and that is 13.9% tongue weight/ total weight ration, which is excellent. I have a Toyota 4 runner and when the hitch was on the ball without weight leveling it would drop the back end of my vehicle 2 7/8 inches.