Options

Best places to camp Indiana and Kentucky?

mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
We are leaving from Michigan and heading to Mammoth Caves in Kentucky later this month. Looking for interesting places to visit/camp. Any ideas?
Mickey & Terri
2016 Max S
Kalamazoo Michigan

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Clifty Falls State Park, Madison, IN great hiking with views of various water falls (southern Indiana)

Turkey Run State Park, Marshall, IN 11 trails through various terrain, including a suspended walking bridge. Terrain is similar to Hocking Hills SP in Ohio with deep (by Midwestern standards) gorges, paths through streams, woodlands and even up ladders attached to rock walls. (West Central Indiana)

Lincoln State Park, Santa Claus, IN near Holiday World (an amusement park) and lots of Abraham Lincoln history (South Central Indiana)

Brown County State Park, Nashville, IN is known for its lush hardwood forests, and has been called The Little Smokey Mountains.  Hiking, great overlooks over the forests, Nashville is known for the fine artists in various mediums with many shops and some great restaurants (The Ordinary is my favorite). (35 miles south of Indianapolis)

Actually, every Indiana State Park is great from Prophetstown near Lafayette with a working pioneer farm, to Harmony SP in southwestern Indiana with hiking, fishing, etc. 

Manny, look for the state parks on the app AllStays Camp & RV, pick one or more, and you won’t be disappointed. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
    Thanks Verna, that is very helpful!
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    CowfarmerCowfarmer Member Posts: 5
    If you are looking at traveling around in Kentucky I highly recommend Carter Caves State Resort Park.  I don’t know if you are only looking at places close to Mammoth or not Carter Caves is on the other side of the state.  The campground has water and electricity at every site and some have sewer as well.  There are multiple natural bridges, guided cave tours and some caves open for self exploration.  I camped there last week and actually was camped close to another T@b.