Options

Vent Covers

This is a reposting of an earlier discussion, but since it may not be recoverable in the new forum, I wanted to share my experience.

I ordered and recently installed the smoke colored Aero-Flo vent cover. I think it best to wait for warm weather as the cover is made of plastic and is somewhat flexible and extreme cold could cause it to crack as you maneuver it around. It is not extremely difficult to install, but not really easy either. Getting it centered and marking the drill holes while reaching across the top on a step ladder makes it a little more difficult. Since I only had one step ladder, I was constantly up and down and moving it from side to side. This job would be much easier if you have two step ladders and a helper on the other side.

The instructions can be a little difficult, but I suggest you study them closely and be sure you understand them completely before you begin. Couple of other things to keep in mind. You will be drilling into fiberglass, so the holes will drill very easily. Just be sure you don't drill any further than necessary because you might hit something to cause damage. Also, be sure the drill holes are not too large (should be slightly smaller in diameter than the screws). For the same reason, snug the bolts and screws, but don't over-tighten as you could crack the cover or strip the holes. Also, because fiberglass will be holding the cover in place and it is a bit flexible, there is the chance that vibration from wind and the road could work it loose. Because of this, I added four short screws (one at each L bracket) to make it more stable. NOTE: You will not be drilling into the actual roof of the T@B in this particular installation, but into the bracket that holds the vent. If you ever decide to remove the cover, caulking the small screw holes should be easy and effective.

When I finished, I checked that the vent opened and closed without catching on the cover, and everything seems tight and snug. Only thing left is to take it out in the rain and see if it works as it's supposed to. Fingers crossed.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    I ordered my vent cover and it is out of stock. We drove all the way to Nashville to Camping World to buy the cover and was told the smoke color is not stocked in their store. Now, it is out of stock online. Out of stock until the end of March. I really need it before that time. I did get an email telling me CW is working on getting from mfg. sooner for me.
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Since Little Guy doesn't sell vent covers, I think it's OK that I tell you that Amazon. com has them in stock. Just go to their site and search for "Aero-Flo vent cover smoke," and it should bring it up. They are $30.83 plus S&H, but if you order $5 more, the shipping is free, which is what I did.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Well, I ordered the UltraBreeze Vent Cover from Camping World and it is out of stock until end of March. Maybe because you got the last 2 in stock!!!!
  • Options
    It's true that the Aero-FLo does not allow the vent to open fully because of its low profile design. I read earlier that someone else was disappointed that it did not allow the vent to fully open. It does open enough for my personal needs and I like the low profile. I never fully opened my vent anyway. I did not notice that much of a decrease in air flow, nor a noticeable increase in noise.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Just trying to give you a hard time. The Smoke version is a special order. It is never in stock. I have not checked out your Youtube site in awhile. I bet you have some cool footage for us.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Belva, the Little Guy store now has vent covers.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Hi, Verna, yes, I see so many new items in the LG store. I do not believe that I saw the Ultrabreeze Cover. I questioned why the only option is the MaxxAir? I always go the the LG store first. If they gave S % H stamps, I'd have 3 full books by now with all the stuff I have purchased.

Neil, yes, that tape is very expensive. Very effective.
    Our son is a PT in Atlanta, if you need a professional to apply the tape.
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Perhaps someone can help me understand the necessity and purpose of a vent cover. We don't get our new T@B for another month or so which means we haven't camped in it yet. Do the factory installed vents leak? Is the purpose for additional protection? Or is there some other benefit to having a vent cover that I am not aware of? Sorry for the rather elementary question, but just trying to learn as much as I can here.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Thanks, I get it! And the videos are helpful!
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Thanks so much for posting all of this info, Neil. I had read about a lot of people swapping out their Fantastic Fan for a rain sensor fan and then I saw these covers at CE yesterday, so I was curious. The install looks super easy and this seems like a better solution.

This would make it feasible to leave your T@b vented for the day while you are out and about without worrying about getting wet from pop up summer storms.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I use Amazon for 90% of my purchases, too, but I did notice a huge rack of them at CW, yesterday, so it might be worth checking your local RV supply store. I happened to be in OH yesterday, so I ventured into CW (First time!). I am pretty sure they had a few smoke colored ones there.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    That is why I installed the cover on my Silver Shadow as it allows you to vent your trailer and with the peace of mind that comes with knowing no rain will get in and that the vent cover won't be operated independently by wind action. That has happened to me and the new Aeroflo vent cover took care of that issue once and for all.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of how the UltraBreeze fan cover affects the fit of the PahaQue cover? I think my cover is pretty snug. But I don't know why you couldn't remove the UltraBreeze fan cover for winter storage, huh? I think the hardest part would be positioning yourself to do the install/removal without getting on the top of the T@B. :-S
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Don't know that I've done an install of any kind that turned out to be as easy as I anticipated before I started. But, if it works as intended when all is said and done, it is a success. Just wondering, could you have drilled the holes in the cover instead of the flange to make it match?

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I installed an Aeroflow vent cover over the fantastic fan cover on my Silver Shadow. I saw this cover out at Atwood Lake last August at the Little Guy Rolling Home rally. I liked the aerodynamic look as opposed to some of the more box like vent covers. I was actually given a Maxxair vent cover by a Little Guy owner at the rally but never installed it as it seemed too large and I didn't want to take away from the look of my new trailer. I've dealt with rain on trips and it limits the vent usage, but after installing the new Aeroflow I am good to go and the install was pretty easy as there are 4 tabs that are screwed down (2 on each side of the vent) and the cover attaches to the L-brackets and no sealant is necessary. This has allowed me to keep my trailer vented while in storage and the fan seems to operate just fine and without any noticeable issues. The cover is the smoke colored unit.

Aeroflow Vent Installation Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia0huI-niz4

• Options
    Thanks for the pics, guys. Our cover has not arrived, yet. Sure hope it comes early in the week and we have time to install before we leave for our Austin adventure.
    We have plans to get with Cindy (Spinnincin) while in Austin.
    Neil, you are so fortunate to have such a great shed to cover your T@B.
    Mike, your rig is perfection.
  • Options
    Little House envy
  • Options
    It's all specialization Neil, to differentiate their product lines. You know the old game between the Big Three.... Kind of like the software products and add-ons that cause a person to buy an additional component because it was built with another driver, fan, etc. to tack on the extra bucks and make the end user figure it all out with his drill. :))
  • Options
    I spent many years in the marne industry and in spite of some bizarre goings-on, I will say that they got their act together pretty well when it came to standards. All tachometers and speedos regardless of manufacturer (and there were more than a dozen) were all the exact same size and all of the assortment of smaller gauges, trim meters, volt meters, depth meters etc were all exactly the same diameter so they all fit in the same hole. All outboard engines bolted up to the exact same industry standard transom bolt pattern (for their size catagory), pretty much all prop shaft splines were the same for engine catagories as well (with very few exceptions). Steering system mounts were standardized also with some minor ancillary brackets. As an industry it (NMMA) worked very closely with the manufacturers in that industry to ensure that components from all of them were almost interchangeable. I would have thought that the RV industry would be behind this concept but I guess not.
  • Options
    Did this not come with the vent cover you purchased? How did you know you needed it?
  • Options
    I'm not sure I understand your question Belva or what comment it is in reference to ?
  • Options
    Sorry, wrong post.
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Crazy question... do we know that our fans ARE Fantastic fans, and not "brand x"? I am not in my t@b, but I do not recall a logo. This might account for the vent not matching with the cover. I am thinking, with our rainy spring, I will need to break down and get a cover.

I wish the ultrabreeze was curved on top, to compliment the look. Ah well, function!
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    In the stack of literature that the dealer turns over with delivery, there should be a sheet or two from the Fan/Vent  supplier and I believe there is a sticker on the unit itself.
  • Options
    XPADREX said:
    Crazy question... do we know that our fans ARE Fantastic fans, and not "brand x"? I am not in my t@b, but I do not recall a logo. This might account for the vent not matching with the cover. I am thinking, with our rainy spring, I will need to break down and get a cover. I wish the ultrabreeze was curved on top, to compliment the look. Ah well, function!
    You know, this is a great question. The website and brochure both describe it as a "Dual Directional, 3-Speed Roof Fan." I did see a video where the dealer does a walkthrough and describes it as a "Fantastic Fan" but LG could have changed it, I guess.

• Options
    We bought the Fantastic Fan Vent Cover. It is bulky looking and not as sleek, but it works great. Be sure to get the bug cover also. After a couple of days, you'll get over the fact that the cover is so big. It allows the vent to open fully. If you are in a hot, humid area, you will need all the circulation you can get. 
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    edited April 2014
    My biggest concern was with the additional noise that the fan generates when you run it fast with the vent partially closed. That's one of the reasons I went with the manufacturer's recommendation. I also thought it looked bulky at first but don't feel that way anymore. As a design engineer, I've always been a student of the "Form Follows Function" school  :)
  • Options
    CorfuCorfu Member Posts: 51
    My pack came with the fantastic fan paperwork. That's not the fan I got though. I had a maxxfan installed at the factory. I needed the lower clearance that fan offers with rain protection as well. I can tell you that I absolutely LOVE it.
    Steve
    Maryland
    2014 T@B S Maxx "T@BOO"
    2005 Honda Pilot
  • Options
    CorfuCorfu Member Posts: 51
    My pack came with the fantastic fan paperwork. That's not the fan I got though. I had a maxxfan installed at the factory. I needed the lower clearance that fan offers with rain protection as well. I can tell you that I absolutely LOVE it.
    Steve
    Maryland
    2014 T@B S Maxx "T@BOO"
    2005 Honda Pilot
  • Options

So, I am finally scheduled to pick up my T@b next weekend (hooray!) and I was making arrangements with the dealer and asked about having them install my vent cover and Progressive Industries surge protector. Interestingly enough, he asked which model vent cover  I had and said, "Oh, good" when  I said the Ultra breeze. I thought that was an interesting response.

I am gong to let them do it since I am running shorter on time and need to get things ready to go!