Options

Hooking up a new Dish portable satellite system.

Anyone know how to hook up a new Dish Satellite system. Not sure where and how to install the Wally.

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Yes. Connect the coax cable from your dish to the outside port of the Tab. Connect the coax cable now going to the television to the back of your Wally. Run a HDMI cable from the Wally to the television. The Wally can just sit on the driver side seat cushion until you find a permanent location. BTW, the Wally does not need line-of-sight for the remote to work, so it an be hidden. Get ready for the hassle of having the unit find a satellite each and every time you turn it on. Mine takes at least 15 minutes before I get any channels. Dish has an app that uses your phone's camera to see the satellites in the sky so you can position the Dish in the best possible location. If you don't use the unit for a week or so, it will not work at the campsite. You must go online and "ping" your unit. I've spent countless hours with the Dish people over the last year. Their system is extremely finicky and prone to problems. Hope you have better luck than me.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    vfrboy98vfrboy98 Member Posts: 1
    So the park cable hookup uses RG-6 cable into the trailer?
  • Options
    miva717miva717 Member Posts: 15
    Looking to purchase portable satelite dish for my Tab400. Is dish playmaker good choice ?
    So the external coax connector is good enough for the satelite as per Tabaz post ?
    Thanks
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Yes, the factory coax connector should work fine with the Dish antennae.  Unfortunately, I had a severe kink in my cable that was made during construction of the trailer.  I had to run a new cable from the outside to the Wally receiver in the trailer.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Thanks . Campingworld offering free Wally with the satelite antena purchase.

• Options
    Yesterday I attempted to install purchased Dish satelite but only could detect satelite when connected the coax directly to receiver  bypassing the tab400 coax cable. I will try again today. According to what I read the tab400 coax cable should work 
  • Options
    For some reason the tab400 coax connection wasnt working for me when I tried to initiate Wally I tried 3 times was only able to detect satelite when bypassed landed connected directly l to receiver..
    I had no problem using the external antena in the past. Also trying to figure out how to add OTA adapter for local channels without running ca le through the door.
    I was perfectly happy with downloading Amazon and Netflix movies to be watched at campsite but wife insisted on having satelite. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @miva717, if the nüCamp factory added a splitter in the Alde compartment, you will need to disconnect the coax from the splitter, and connect the coax to the outside connection.

For the OTA channels, you could change to a 5’ coax cable from the rear of the TV and add an indoor antenna like the Mohu Leaf to the end of that short cable. Or just add the 5’ coax outside to the cable connection and hook the Mohu Leaf over the FM antenna on the side of the T@B 400. 

If you wanted to put an A/B switch on the coax, you would have to run a second coax to the outside and add an OTA antenna to the end of it. This way there is no unscrewing—just switch to whichever coax you want to have. The down side is you will have two connections on the outside of the T@B. 

The easiest way would be to add the $12.99 + tax local channel package to your DISH account. You can change your zip code in your account as you travel so you will be able to watch the local channels where you are located. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 180
    This discussion was created from comments split from: antenna hook up,should be new discussion.
  • Options
    @Verna thanks for your input 
    I will try one more time connecting dish cable do the outside coax  on tab to see if I can find the satelite if not will look of there is a splitter. 
    Thanks again