Options

Land Between The Lakes

norwoodnorwood Member Posts: 63
We are looking for options for a week plus long trip the last week of Sept or first week of October 2018 and are considering LBL. We will be interested in mountain biking, hiking, and general laying around. Does anyone have experience with this area? 
Dennis and Mary Jo
North Carolina
2015 T@b Max Q

Comments

• Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    edited July 2018
    @norwood

Last July 5th, a Wednesday, we rolled into the Army Corps of Engineers Canal Campground near Grand Rivers KY, just north of Land Between the Lakes, without a reservation and scored one of the non-reservable campsites, #18, a wooded site. That said since only two of the 110 sites are walk-in only, it would probably be a good idea to reserve your site ahead of time. We stayed four nights although as a walk-in we could have had the site for a max of 14 nights. We enjoyed a combination of auto touring to Civil War historic sites, geocaching, a 19th Century farmstead living history center, and just relaxing in camp. We plan to return to explore even more of this fascinating area.

https://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/Locations/Lakes/Lake-Barkley/Campgrounds/Canal/

@kybob
    If we remember correctly, you two were planning on visiting LBL later in the summer when we saw you at üCamp17. How was your experience?

Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Yes! We were there for several days during the eclipse.  It is a very nice campground. We had site #68, water and electric and a nice lake view. The site right across the road was a FHU site but not as nice of a view. There is a nice little theater in Grand Rivers that puts on some entertaining shows. If you plan on eating at Patti's 1810 Settlement, make sure you have a reservation. We took a day trip to Paducah and toured the Quilt Museum. I just went along for the ride, but ended up being very impressed. Across the river in Metropolis, they have some fun Superman stuff. I forgot all about visiting the Birdman of Alcatraz's grave site in the Mason's cemetery while in Metropolis.  Another park in Western Kentucky that we enjoyed was Columbus Belmont State Park. A interesting Civil War site. I like visiting Native American mound sites, Wickliffe Mounds is in the area. I find Cairo, Illinois, an sad but interesting town that is not too far away. Just watch you speed.  It's a notorious speed trap. 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    norwoodnorwood Member Posts: 63
    Thanks for the feedback. We will certainly put this on our list of places to visit!
    Dennis and Mary Jo
    North Carolina
    2015 T@b Max Q

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Also, if you've never dined at a Lambert's Café, I think it's worth a day trip to Sikeston, MO. Go hungry and have cash or check. A unique dining experience! 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY