Cool Cat in 400 on 20 amp outlet

AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
edited September 2020 in Heating/Plumbing & Winterizing
our 400 is in the driveway as we prep for upcoming trips. It’s summer...hot. Can we run the Cool Cat plugged into regular house power?

Comments

• atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    30 amp if you have it.  It will run on less but not great to do it.  I ran it on 20 amp and worked ok.  Now have dedicated 30 amp just for the 400 in the shop and works great.  For our last trip I pulled out to the front apron in the shop and connected.  Ran the Cool cat and ref. to cool down before we left.  With our summer heat here in Oklahoma, the cool cat does the job once it gets the heat soak out of the inside and will do nicely for the rest of the trip.  Needed an ice pack on the last trip and placed a wet wash cloth in plastic sandwich bag.  Into the ref. freezer and about 30 minutes on level 3 and had the needed ice pack.  Love the firdge. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Alan said:
    our 400 is in the driveway as we prep for upcoming trips. It’s summer...hot. Can we run the Cool Cat plugged into regular house power?
    Before I got the dedicated 30 Amp, I could run the CoolCat on my regular house power on the outside plugs, but nothing else. One time hubby started up a blow dryer on the same circuit and popped the fuse.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    There's a company called Micro Air.  They have a product to help remove the surge when starting the AC.
    https://www.microair.net/products/easystart-364-3-ton-single-phase-soft-starter-for-air-conditioners?variant=30176048267
    It will help where the circuit is not really strong.  It is also helpful when using a generator.  I no longer own a T@B so I cannot speak to the cool cat in the 400.  The company is known for great customer service so give them a call.
    They also have a device that solves the ground issue when using a generator and the Progressive Industries EMS.
    Hope this helps.
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• SimbionicSimbionic Member Posts: 23
    Regarding the larger fridge, which I like so far....we plugged in to our house 20amp service with an adapter and turned on the fridge and ac. Both did fine for a few hours, including making ice and ac keeping the temp as set at 80 degr. After a few hours, the breaker in my house el service tripped under the load. And I actually heard the fridge switch over to propane. Pretty cool (no pun intended). Of course, we unplugged from the house and left ac off. I let the fridge operate on propane for awhile and all seemed fine. 
    Simbionic
    Tab 400BD
    TV: 2013 Lexus GX460
  • SystemSystem Posts: 180
    This discussion was created from comments split from: 2021 Tab 400 Boondock Manual????.