Options

Day 5 - Reworking the Audio and Video systems

BogieMeisterBogieMeister Member Posts: 114
Today I spent the day reworking the entertainment system.  First I intended to install a amplified antenna. Because the amplifier needs a 110v power source  I tapped into the 110v outlet under the drivers side cushion. (I have the S model) In doing so I added a protected power strip so I could plug in multiple devices. I used the existing antenna lead to pull a new 6 ft TV cable lead and a 6ft HDMI lead. Now both leads to the TV terminate in the space under the cushion. I tied the existing antenna lead and the new 6 ft cable to the amplifier. Now all I have to do to get reception is connect the antenna to the outside terminal. I purchased a Polaroid indoor/outdoor antenna which seems to work quite well.

Polaroid 55 Mile IndoorOutdoor HDTV Amplified Antenna - Receives Free HDTV Broadcast Channels 55 Mile Reception Enhanced Quality  Sound - PLAIA1350P
Next I installed an HDMI Switch. One lead from the switch goes to the on-board Jensen entertainment system. By utilizing the ARC HDMI circuitry the stereo system will play whatever is showing on the TV. The second connection on the HDMI switch is a Google Chromecast dongle. Now I can bring up Netflix, or any other steaming source on my iPhone and cast it to the TV via the Chromecast and the Audio comes through the stereo system. The only downside is the remote control for the HDMI switch is infrared and will not work because the switch is inside the driver side cubby. So to switch from the on-board entertainment system (Radio/DVD/CD) to the Chromecast I have to raise the cushion and push a button. Not a  major inconvenience.
Gerri (Gary) Ewing
Montgomery TX (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
2018 320 S - "No Agenda Hacienda"
Tow Vehicle 2023 Honda Pilot AWD

Comments

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited August 2018
    I know it's pricey, but look into a Logitech Harmony remote, and put the blaster under the bench. We have a whole house system, and the blaster is in a closet with all of our components, and works great! You can set the Harmony to use IR for the actual TV and Jensen, then use the blaster for the HDMI switch. You can also use it with your phone.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    Today I spent the day reworking the entertainment system.  First I intended to install a amplified antenna. Because the amplifier needs a 110v power source  I tapped into the 110v outlet under the drivers side cushion. (I have the S model) In doing so I added a protected power strip so I could plug in multiple devices. I used the existing antenna lead to pull a new 6 ft TV cable lead and a 6ft HDMI lead. Now both leads to the TV terminate in the space under the cushion. I tied the existing antenna lead and the new 6 ft cable to the amplifier. Now all I have to do to get reception is connect the antenna to the outside terminal. I purchased a Polaroid indoor/outdoor antenna which seems to work quite well.

Polaroid 55 Mile IndoorOutdoor HDTV Amplified Antenna - Receives Free HDTV Broadcast Channels 55 Mile Reception Enhanced Quality  Sound - PLAIA1350P
    Next I installed an HDMI Switch. One lead from the switch goes to the on-board Jensen entertainment system. By utilizing the ARC HDMI circuitry the stereo system will play whatever is showing on the TV. The second connection on the HDMI switch is a Google Chromecast dongle. Now I can bring up Netflix, or any other steaming source on my iPhone and cast it to the TV via the Chromecast and the Audio comes through the stereo system. The only downside is the remote control for the HDMI switch is infrared and will not work because the switch is inside the driver side cubby. So to switch from the on-board entertainment system (Radio/DVD/CD) to the Chromecast I have to raise the cushion and push a button. Not a  major inconvenience.
    @BogieMeister what was the ARC hdmi switch you used?  I bought one off of amazon to try this same idea and it didn’t seem to work so I sent it back.  Also does the DVD player function still work?  Also are you able to use the TV remote to control the DVD player still with that set up?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Yes, everything still works. I picked up the HDMI Switch at Walmart. The manufacturer was " Black Web  or something like that. It was only 30.00.
    Gerri (Gary) Ewing

• Options
    edited October 2018
    @BogieMeister so I found the HDMI switch you are referring to at Walmart and purchased it(Blackwebb 3 port hdmi switch).  Weird thing is while it works, if you shut everything down and start back up again you get no sound.  I have found you have to switch back to HDMI 1 which is the Jensen JWM70a receiver while on HDMI ARC mode.  then I can switch back to HDMI 2 which is my Apple TV, then I have to go to the TV CEC menu and select receiver audio and flip it from on to off and then on again and it works.  I have to do this every time though to get sound our of the receiver!  I have tried 10 different HDMI switches with ARC function and they all behave the same.  Do you have this issue?  if so how did you overcome it?  I have also tried with Roku and fire stick and got the same results.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Oddly enouh I have not experienced that issue. So, I do not know how to resolve your problem - Sorry.

What I did discover is that in order for the Google Comcast to function it needs to be connected to a common WiFi network. While sitting in my driveway it worked wonderfully. Once I got to Big Bend National park - No workie. So, back to  the drawing board. Roku or firestick may be the answer for me. Then again, that option will only work if I have a "signal" on the device I'm using as a hot spot.

(After a bit more research, perhaps I can make the Chromecast work without WiFi. Update to follow.)
    Gerri (Gary) Ewing

• Options
    Oddly enouh I have not experienced that issue. So, I do not know how to resolve your problem - Sorry.

What I did discover is that in order for the Google Comcast to function it needs to be connected to a common WiFi network. While sitting in my driveway it worked wonderfully. Once I got to Big Bend National park - No workie. So, back to  the drawing board. Roku or firestick may be the answer for me. Then again, that option will only work if I have a "signal" on the device I'm using as a hot spot.

(After a bit more research, perhaps I can make the Chromecast work without WiFi. Update to follow.)
    Thanks for that information, just curious what Jensen audio unit do you have?  I have the JWM70A the smaller unit.  Wonder if that may be the difference?  I even called Jensen about this issue and they told me basically to buy a new TV with more inputs.  Terrible service from those guys.  Oh well at least I have a work around to make it work for now.  Thanks again for you help.