Plastic tub replacement

Question for those of you that replaced the plastic propane tub with a metal tongue box (not the Boondocks) what did you use around the vent holes you drilled? Did you screen them?
2020 Tiffin Open Road
2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
Alan & Patty
Southern Az

Comments

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited November 2018
    Question for those of you that replaced the plastic propane tub with a metal tongue box (not the Boondocks) what did you use around the vent holes you drilled? Did you screen them?
    I have installed several of the diamond plate style tongue boxes, installed stainless clamshell style vent covers and did install screens over the holes to keep insects out.  If you are planning to store any propane inside a box you need to keep in mind that propane is heavier than air, it will settle into the lowest points and vents will need to be installed on the bottom.  I had a small one-pound tank leak one time on one of my former teardrop trailers and let me just say that this was scary at the time, I learned my lesson and wouldn't recommend anyone storing propane tanks inside a box as it could prove not only dangerous, but fatal.  This is why the tub storage areas are open beneath the tanks and why it is an industry and national standard.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    I drilled five 1 inch holes, using a hole saw, near top on rear wall of box and an additional five 1 inch holes near bottom on rear wall of box...within inch of bottom.  These holes met ventilation requirements I found on-line, in my opinion.  
    Aluminum is easy to cut or drill.  
    Did not cover them with anything and yes they leak a little rain water...I placed a sheet of plywood on box bottom to keep stuff "above" any water...but most stuff in there can sit in a little water... 
    And yes I had a yellow jacket or two inside once.  But otherwise, over past 2 years have had no problems. 
    Found a "washer" to cover metal edge of propane hose hole as I did not want any abrasion of propane hose.  "Washer" is a round u-shaped inside-out piece of plastic that fits covers aluminum edge of hole. 
    Mike's concern re leaking propane is valid....but my propane tank remains in the metal box.    
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited