Options

Top hinged couch back for 2018 T@B 320S

Because my arms are short and a grabber can never find the small things that fall down into the abyss below the couch back on our 2018 T@B 320S, I felt inspired to modify the hinges.

I added angle iron and fabricated top hinges to allow the couch back to operate normally but also swing open from the top.
The original hinges were not modified in any way except to bolt on the angle irons using the existing holes. I did need to open up the bottom sides of the cushion to get at the wood frame and remove a little wood for clearance with the original hinges.

With my approach I used metal working tools and an arc welder to make the top hinges.  
This mod provides instant access to the back storage areas.

Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,354
    What a great idea! I would be interested in purchasing a pair of these from you.  I'm sure others would too.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    That mod was addressed about 3 years ago. Over the years they have used 2 different types of jack knife hinges. One is easy to do this mod. The other is  recessed into the sides of the back cushion and requires more involved modification. Be aware  your situation may be different. I know because our 2015 was the latter. I would rate this mod a 5 difficulty out of 5. IMHO
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    Thanks @Dalehelman, I thought there was a previous thread but I gave up searching. 
    The 2018 style hinge requires opening up the couch back fabric and sawing away some of the wood frame to gain swing clearance and then stapling the fabric back in place.

You are right this project was difficult to engineer but a completed kit is possible if there is sufficient interest. The couch back would still need to be modified by the installer.
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    @tybladesmith
    You are correct that’s pretty much how I remember it. Not really a project for the novice.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun