Options

TAB 400 Jack and Jacking Points

2»

Comments

• Options
    trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    On our 2020 320-s Boondock, I measured from the frame to the ground behind the wheel at a point close enough to get a jack positioned. It looks like 20" just at the minimum , so I would need a jack that extends to ? 24" or more..not sure.
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    While bulky, I bought a floor jack, safest and lowest clearance of any other type. After a regular bottle jack dropping the trailer (wheel still attached fortunately) I bought the floor jack I have always wanted but couldn't justify.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    While bulky, I bought a floor jack, safest and lowest clearance of any other type. After a regular bottle jack dropping the trailer (wheel still attached fortunately) I bought the floor jack I have always wanted but couldn't justify.
    Yeah, leaning that direction myself. Bulk is an issue, but not being able to get a jack under the frame is a bigger show-stopper.

Thanks @trimtab...suspect you are a bit higher in the BDL than I am but its a good gauge. And I'd suspect you'd need about that much rise to clear the new tire going back on...if not a bit more. Just a waggle...
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited June 2020
    Not a 400, but on the non-boondock 320 it is only 6-5/8" from ground to L-bracket jack point.  I can fit an electric combination jack / stand under there (I'm lazy), but have to drive up on a few lego blocks with the flat tire if it needs the spare put on.  Have tested doing this at home, but (knock on wood) haven't needed to do it on the road yet (but replace my tires regularly and use a wireless pressure monitoring system).

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. Had not considered the electric option!  :o
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited June 2020
    @AirBoss ; The ABN is electro-hydraulic, and locks at whatever position it is set to.  But it's too pricey when not on sale, and there's gobs of negative reviews on Amzn from folks saying it froze up shortly after they got it, or a seal went out and it leaked fluid everywhere.  But that might be the ten folks out of a thousand who shared their negative experience.

I've had mine years, without problems, and I used to be a magnet for screws in my tires (the area around where I worked I guess), so it's seen lots of use.  I used to carry a small floor jack, but I've had them go out and make a mess of my trunk 

Lifts the car or camper quickly and relatively quietly.  I just wish it had a wired remote.  Instead you have to flip a switch on the unit to make it go up or down... and again to stop the motion before the top or bottom of travel.  Seems like that makes it less safe to use.  But when its 110F out it's super nice to change a tire in a few minutes with an electrical jack and electric high power impact wrench for the lug nuts.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    I found myself in “no man’s land” with my jack situation. I have a little 4 ton bottle jack, but it doesn’t have enough reach to get my wheel off the ground.  If I put enough blocks under it to get the height I need, then I can’t get it under the frame.  The jack also has this little bitty “button” top that I don’t trust either; too easy to slip off if the trailer shifted for any reason.  Seems like I should have found me a jack like @Awca12a mentions in his write-up, but I purchased the one pictured above by @JeffroNC.  It unfortunately is too tall to fit under the frame.  Looks like I’ll be traveling with two jacks.  
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @TNOutback Sorry for the trouble. I am sure I tried the jack so maybe I steered you wrong on the model number? We are travelling but I will dig it out on Monday and double check.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    edited June 2020
    Here is the way they did it in the old days.  I pulled this from a YouTube video.  A guy is changing a tire at 3:11.
    https://youtu.be/YhWJ0tlhH6I?t=195.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Well, I tried the jack at the campground and it didn’t fit. My previous success must have been due to the uneven ground where I park it. 
    I also didn’t consider that the trailer would be lower with a flat. Back to the drawing board for me. 
    I apologize for my previous misinformation. I edited my previous post. 
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @JeffroNC
    Can confirm the same clearance issue with a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock on level concrete. The 3 Ton Powerjack doesn't fit under the jacking point. On the Boondock with fully inflated tires it is very close, but still doesn't fit. With a flat it wouldn't even be close. 
    I haven't tried this, but if I were able to pull a flat tire up onto an Andersen leveler, then I think there might be enough clearance, but I'm now looking for a better fitting solution.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    @JeffroNC I appreciated the tip about the jack, and glad I purchased it!  Already used it on uneven ground to change a flat on my son’s 4x4.  Much more stable jack than the ridiculous jack that came with his car.  I will still carry it with us, along with the little bottle jack I already had, to use as a “pre-jack”.  It has a wide stable base and good reach; rock solid. 
  • Options
    Here is the way they did it in the old days.  I pulled this from a YouTube video.  A guy is changing a tire at 3:11.
    https://youtu.be/YhWJ0tlhH6I?t=195.
    That was very cool. Loved the theme music too. The line up for rigs in the last picture as incredible. Wonder where and when that was.

Thanks for sharing!
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    I'm wondering how the tire changing process went at 3:10.  Did the cabin structure survive that bumper jack?
  • Options
    @TNOutback so it is a jack stand with lift! I think I will get a little bottle jack as well. "Prejack": I think you coined a new word. LOL
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    nmdreamnmdream Member Posts: 27
    I bought a small 35$ roller jack ( rated for 3500 lbs) at Wally World.  I use it and a small piece of , seems to work really well under the axle. You might use a small piece of plywood for dirt/mud conditions under the rollers. Flat tires come in the worst places. Nice small flat piece of plywood will keep the jack from sinking. Roller jack is not my favorite for weight - but I trust it more A LOT more than a scissor jack. Already worth it to me.
    2020 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate 181 HP w/Hayden 678 Rapid Cool
    2019 T@B 320 S 

• Options
    LloydLloyd Member Posts: 34
    10 3/4"
    2020 T@B 400 w/ factory solar
    2015 Nissan Frontier SV, 4WD Crew Cab
    Cottage Grove, MN