Options

Using extended draw bars to accommodate bike racks

benderennsbenderenns Member Posts: 41
Hello teckkies,

My local RV dealer said that can't use and extended draw bar to accomodate a Swagman bike rack as the weight pulling capacity of the draw bar is decreased….Is this true?
Thanks - Christine
Chris and Phil -  Sally D., 2015 Q Maxx, Toyota 4Runner, Sidney, BC, CANADA

Comments

• Options
    CorfuCorfu Member Posts: 51
    I don't buy what that dealer is selling. I've looked into this recently. You can get a 10" extender that has a capacity 3 times that of a T@B. Don't forget to consider the extra tongue weight though.

Steve
    Maryland
    2014 T@B S Maxx "T@BOO"
    2005 Honda Pilot
  • Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    Hi Corfu,
    I have a jeep with the tire mount and that hitch looks like what I need. Do you think it would make the t@B sway more?
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited June 2014
    There are many factors that create trailer sway and you see them often while traveling along most highways.   I see this often when I see the U-Haul trailers being towed around the country and this is because most of these set-ups are hastily done, the people do not have the proper hitch (trailer is attached too low to the tow vehicle) and the unit is loaded improperly (too much weight on the rear of the trailer) creating sway at higher road speeds.   Wind is a big factor too and when large semis pass trailers it creates a vacuum of sorts or sucks the trailer over toward the semi and the trailer begins to sway or rock back and forth after the vacuum is broken.  High wind conditions also can push trailers and create unstable conditions while towing that result in a trailer swaying or rocking from side to side.   If your trailer does sway, place more weight on the tongue of the trailer as too much weight to the rear will create sway as well.   

ETrailer.com is a good source of information too and they have some great tips for this condition.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    If you are talking about adding a dual hitch adapter and an extended draw bar, then the dealer is right that it will decrease the towing capacity of the setup. However, I did it with each component being rated for 6,000 lbs and had it evaluated at a trailer supply/repair shop. They said I was good to go.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA