Any "TALL" owners out there?

RobMRobM Member Posts: 2
My Wife and I, while searching for teardrops, Fell in Love with and are Strongly Considering Taking the plunge and Getting a 320 S in the not so distant future.....To get back into the camping scene...... We both grew up Tent camping and Airstreaming etc.... I feel comfortable enough going into it, But the only real concern is at 6'3" I'm a bit curious if I'll be the only over 6' chap around in a Teardrop... LOL..... Just looking for Tall Folks experiences ...... Any Tall Tales would be appreciated.......Cheers :)

Comments

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    My husband is 6’5”. Ironically our 320 S works for him while a lot of much larger trailers would not, because he can sleep front to back. Most RVs have beds oriented side to side.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited January 2019
    Welcome to the forum! If you search on 6’ or 6 feet, you’ll find several related threads.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    There are no coincidences - are you the couple we were chatting with yesterday in Allentown? Either way, welcome to the Forum. You'll find a wealth of information here. As a soon-to-be owner myself, thanks to this Forum I consider myself one of the most knowledgeable people who's never owned a T@B!
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    they do make a 400.    but the 320 lower profile will give you better gas mileage.   fit well in my 8 foot garage.      it really depends on how you camp.  i think if you like to be inside most of the time the height will be an issue for you
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @RobM, welcome to the forum. Wonderful folks and great information to be found here.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    I am a shade under 6’6” and we decided on a 400 and couldn’t be happier. We traded an R-pod 171 and it has been an incredible upgrade in space.  To be able to move around inside and not hunch over, use the bathroom to its’ full capacity and not have to sleep in the fetal position is pure luxury.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • RobMRobM Member Posts: 2
    There are no coincidences - are you the couple we were chatting with yesterday in Allentown? Either way, welcome to the Forum. You'll find a wealth of information here. As a soon-to-be owner myself, thanks to this Forum I consider myself one of the most knowledgeable people who's never owned a T@B!
    Yup it’s us 😀
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    We have been T@Bing for going on 5 years. Attended more rallies than I can recall. Met T@Bers of all sizes and shapes. With pets even multiple pets. It all depends on your commitment to small trailer travel or extended living. It’s not for everyone. You will probably not know for sure if it is for you until you try. There are always a few almost new T@Bs for sale. Sometimes  it’s health other times it’s just a not the right fit. You make your choice and take your chances. If you want it to work it can.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I'm somewhere between 6'2"-6'3"... We've been happy camping in our '320' for 5+ years. We approach it as a very nice alternative to a tent, spending most time outdoors, but then nice to have a quick easy way to get comfortable when it's time (be it at a campground, boondocking, a rest area or truckstop,  or alongside a highway for a coffee or lunch).

I duck a lot, but no big deal. We sleep crosswise, I'm a little kitty-cornered sleeping, but we're both very comfortable in the large bed.

The one difficulty is when the (medium sized) dog and both of us are trying to get arranged inside all at once. We usually make him wait outside, or in the truck if the weather is bad, until we're ready. The add-a-room tent is a nice addition for the dog!

As others have said, if you don't expect to spend a lot of time 'camping' 'indoors', you ought to love it!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    I'm 6' 2" and had the same concern.  I committed to 320 S yesterday after looking at it more closely.  The ceiling height is a concern, but I figure I don't speed all that much time standing up while RVing.  Some time cooking, getting dressed, and using the bathroom.  I'll just have to deal with that.  When I checked out the bed yesterday, I found that I could move the pillow up about 5" past the head of the bed on the shelf at the head-end of the bed. The shelf is about 3" above the height of the mattress, but it seemed to work.  I'll find out for sure after I take delivery.  I will be using the 320 mostly solo, so I can also sleep on the bed diagonally, and as a last resort, I can sleep on the door side of the bed and let my feet hang off the end of the bed a bit.  Can't do that on the other side as it's boxed in.

I really can't go much bigger than a 320 because I have a Jeep Wrangler 4 door with a max tow rating of 3500 lbs, and I want to stay well below that for towing in the mountains. 

Good luck on your decision.  Some times you just need to take a leap of faith. 
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • ArwenArwen Member Posts: 68
    edited January 2019
    Hi RobM, I had the exact same concerns when we were considering the T@B models last Spring.  My boyfriend is 6-1 and I'm 6-0.  My TV is a Jeep, and I loved the 320S Boondock from the moment I saw it on the dealer's lot, as I wanted a camper that would be able to handle some of the rough National Forest roads in my area.
    I really tried to compromise, and consideed the larger 400 (which was my boyfriend's first choice), but it was too close to my Jeep's tow weight (and above my towing confort level). Plus I felt that the 320 would totally work for us, with a bit of adapting on our part.  After all, it was way larger than my little backpacking tent that we had been camping in.
    For starters, we ordered the side tent on the day we bought our T@B, and once we set that up at home, my boyfriend's feeling about the 320 totally changed, as we now had a little camper with a second room that had all sorts of headroom.
    On the non-CS model, the bed is a bit longer, at 73 inches; so the bed works fine for us, we just sleep at a slight diagonal.
    I solved the headroom issue at the kitchen sink/stove by adding a folding stool, which is perfect, with the bonus of being a good height for looking out the front window.
    I love our 320 and am so glad I didn't let myself get talked into a larger model. Sometimes smaller is actually better, especially when you're mainly using it for a base camp, and are spending most days out hiking or sea kayaking. Ant it is very easy to tow (my Jeep averages 17 mpg).
    Arwen: Northern NH; 2018 T@B 320S Boondock, silver/blue; TV: blue 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @klenger when DH is along he sleeps on the door side and I stack the side cushions between the bench end and the fridge in front of the door so he can comfortably rest his feet there while sleeping. Happy Tabbing!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    @Homebodyatheart ^^ I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing this.  Pictures?
  • JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I’m not quite tall (5’11”), but I still have to duck a bit in the kitchen and bath areas.  But, it’s really not a big deal.  We spend most of our time outside, and when we’re inside, we’re sleeping or cooking.  We did get, both, the visor (for sunny days) and the awning (for inclement weather), so that extends the “living” area of the T@B a bit.  We also have a Jeep Wrangler, so we have limitations on what we can tow.  But, besides that, I really like the size of the 320; it’s just so much easier to manage, yet still offers most everything you “need.”  We have a beautiful 4 seasons fifth wheel and diesel, dually F350; yet, we seem to be spending more time camping out of our T@B.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
    We also have a Jeep Wrangler, so we have limitations on what we can tow.  But, besides that, I really like the size of the 320; it’s just so much easier to manage, yet still offers most everything you “need.”  We have a beautiful 4 seasons fifth wheel and diesel, dually F350; yet, we seem to be spending more time camping out of our T@B.
    We just sold a 34' very nice travel trailer and Ram 2500 turbo-diesel truck and bought a new Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport and I will take delivery of a 320 S in about 2 weeks.  Really looking forward to all the places I can go now that were out of bounds before.