TAB 400 door lock problem

jpb0001jpb0001 Member Posts: 15
edited November 2021 in Trailer & Towing
So, I got my new Tab 400 home.  Locked the trailer and gave the door a gentle tug to make sure that the door was indeed locked.  This was a gentle tug, mind you, and yet the latch slipped out of the first  (large) opening in the strike plate and lodged against the second (small) opening in the strike plate.  Hmm.  So I opened the door, entered the camper, and observed the lock from inside while my wife locked the door from outside and then repeated the gentle tug.  From inside, I noticed that the latch barely extends within the large opening in the strike plate, and the gentle tug is sufficient to allow the latch to slip out of the strike plate.  Obviously, this is a real security concern. I don't see any way to repair the problem without shimming the strike plate so that it moves closer to the latch, thereby allow the latch to extend further into the larger opening in the strike plate. I'm hoping that someone has had a similar issue and knows of a quick and easy fix so that I don't have to drag the trailer two hours back to the dealer.  Anyone had personal experience with the problem?  A solution.

In addition, I'd really like to replace the lock with one that has a bolt.  However, these locks are not standard RV type locks (I located them on the product inventory of a lock manufacturer in Italy) and it seems pretty clear that a special lock will be required.  Anyone have any experience in replacing the TAB 40

Comments