Options

Norcold N412UL not cooling completely

Hello.  I have a Norcold N412UL Refer in my travel trailer.  The trailer was purchased new three years ago, so I assume the fridge is 4 or 5 years old?   I have been using it full-time for the last 12 months and prior to that for two long stretches of roughly 5 months each.  I have only ever used it on AC mode, never LP.  It has always performed perfectly on a moderate setting (5/6) during all this time; freezer keeps ice, and fridge keeps normal groceries nice and cold.  I have lived in mostly warmer climates, although it has operated everywhere without much difference from 100° to below freezing.

A few days ago, it slowly started losing its temperatures.  Items in the freezer started to soften and the fridge compartment became cool rather than cold. (at that time I did not have a thermometer) I bumped up the setting from 6 to the highest setting of 9.  There was no difference.  The fins and the freezer box were still cold to the touch, but my groceries were not being kept at their usual temps.  

I found some great troubleshooting resources online and have attempted to rule out certain things...
1. As far as I can tell, I do not have a cooling unit leak.  I do not and have never smelled ammonia inside or outside the fridge. There are no yellow stains anywhere on any of the cooling unit tubes or inside the rear cabinet.  
2. All ventilation paths are open, clear, clean, and free of debris.  
3. I have 110 voltage to the GFCI plug that supplies power to the unit.  
4. The front panel is illuminated and working as normal with no error codes.  
5. No fuses or breakers appear to be tripped or fried.  
6. I have 12V at the control panel.  
7. I have resistance tested my Thermistor and found it to be within range of normal.  I also removed the thermistor and ran the fridge for a few hours and noticed no change.  
8. The heating element has voltage, and the boiler is getting hot. I am getting SOME cooling, but not like it used to be.  
9. The fridge door seal is intact and functioning.  There is no frost build up inside the freezer or fridge.  
10. I ran the fridge on propane for the 1st time ever to test for any difference, there was none.  

I'm sure there are other things I've over looked, which is where some additional help would be appreciated!  We live in our trailer full-time currently and of course would like our fridge to function properly.  I have become obsessed with this issue until it gets resolved!  Any suggestions would certainly help!  This is the first problem I've had with this fridge, I am crossing my fingers it is something simple and affordable to repair.  

Thank you for your time!  Pete K

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    What kind of T@B, and what year do you have?  I’m not familiar with the Norcold model numbers. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    This appears to be a two way fridge (110V/LP), with a 4.1 cu ft capacity, which is not offered in the T@B’s due to being too large for iur T@B’s. 

You could Google your model number as I did, and there are Norcold help sites that could answer your questions. 

You could also Google your travel trailer type to see if they have an owner’s forum to obtain answers to your fridge questions. 

Good luck. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    PeteKPeteK Member Posts: 2
    So... I don't own a T@B.  I have a Starcraft.  I know, I know....  

With all my internet searching for solutions over the last few days I didn't realize this was a "T@B" forum until after requesting to join.  Figured I'd ask for help anyway since these refers are pretty common across the industry.  

Hopefully this does not discourage assistance!  

It is a small, one door, 2-way fridge.  There is a freezer box inside the main cabinet.  

https://thenorcoldguy.com/norcold-n410-n412-refrigerator-parts-products/
  • Options
    No, @PeteK, we certainly do not require you to be a T@B owner to join. It’s just that most of us are not Norcold technicians. Your quickest answers will come from Norcold themselves.

And our fridges range from 2.7 cu ft (except for the new T@B 400 large fridge option) and downward, so they are almost half the size of yours.  Yours is very large compared to ours. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited March 2019
    Pete, Is your fridge level? That's one thing I've found that will make the fridge inefficient (but not quite disable it).

Another is overheating the heater area. In which case, shutting it down for a period of time, & allowing it to cool, to let all the refrigerant settle, might help.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya