Options

Fantastic/Dometic Fan vent cover stuck open.

Bill@ndRoxBill@ndRox Member Posts: 89
edited March 2019 in Products and Accessories
Does anyone have a solution for a stuck open roof vent cover? I dismantled mine, removed the lifter arm which was difficult, and then found the arm stuck and it would not move either direction even using plyers.  The plastic handle to open and close the lifter is so flimsy that the threads are stripped. (2nd issue). Can I get a better quality lifter and handle?  Traveling soon, need advice and my vent.  320S T@b Outback ‘18. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    I had read that Dometic/Fantastic Fan customer service is very responsive and your fan should still be under warranty. " Fan-tastic Vent Corporation warrants this product to be free of manufacturing defects for a two year period after the original date of consumer purchase or receipt as a gift. This warranty does not include damage to the product resulting from accident or misuse."
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    It sounds like you have more of a problem than I did when the lid wouldn't lower. I just tightened the screw in the handle and that worked. My ultimate solution though is the Maxxfan sitting in my garage ready for install! :)
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Thanks Denis, I’ll call the company. today.  Bill
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Interesting to see this.  We just gotten through working with Dometic Factory Service and their distributer Boat and RV Accessories via Amazon.  Both supported the product appropriately and in a timely, professional manner when we had problems.  

We ordered the 7350 upgrade kit from Boat and RV Accessories as we have read here that it is quieter and more energy efficient.  It also includes a rain sensor system.  The kit arrived with a damaged screen.  A call to Boat and RV Accessories resulted with their immediately shipping a replacement screen.

Once we got the upgrade kit installed it ran but we did not get all 14 fan speeds as promised.  The distributor had us contact Dometic directly for technical assistance.  There were a couple of e-mails back and forth for technical questions and answers, all were reasonable.  The exchange didn't solve the problem.  At this point they contacted us one last time.  This was to verify the color we wanted for our replacement 7350 upgrade kit and a new motor assembly. Yes, no charge.

It appears the upgrade kit, despite promises in the advertising, is not fully universal.  But they made it right!  If we had to do it again we would start with a call Dometic to verify all the proper part numbers.

As has been mentioned here on the forum before the kit instructions could be a little clearer.  Bigger, higher quality photos might be the key. Also they need to better maintain their wire colors more consistently.

Tools needed are screwdrivers (Phillips for all the Dometic hardware, square end for removing the outer trim piece installed by Nucamp), wire cutters, and wire terminal crimpers. If you ever have to install the motor unit, and to install the rain sensor you need a step ladder. These are 2 items installed from the outside.  Everything else is done from the inside.

Happy campers with a new quieter fan!!
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    I called Dometic/Fantastic company and they’re sending new parts free under 2 yr warantee. Very helpful.  They said after 2 yrs, warantee still good up to 7 yrs but with small service fee. I think she said $15. Terrific, thanks everyone.