Options

Installing a Porchlight or Worklight over the Tongue

I'd like to install a small worklight over the tongue of my T@B. The new Boondock edge's have a ridiculous lightbar on the front, and that isn't what I want. I'd really like two smallish lights on the right and left side of the front of the camper to mitigate shadows (I'd settle for one if it turns out to be too hard).

There are two reasons for these lights. The first is to give me light when I am setting up camp for after-dark arrivals. The second is to provide me a light to turn on when I am going out on particularly buggy nights. When you turn on a light on the front porch, all the bugs are immediately attracted to the door. I'd like to get some light, but attract them to a nearby place.

So what I need to figure out is where to mount them so that the wires are easy to thread through the wall to a switch and eventually to power. This will be my first time cutting a whole in the skin, so I'd love it if I could be directed to some good forum threads or get some advice about where to start. Has anyone else installed lights on the front of their T@B?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I use solar powered motion sensing lights connected to a carabiner clip that connects to the front handles. I remove them during travel. With the motion sensing, they aren’t on all night long and they are task lighting when I am out there. I also have one on the handle next to the door.

It was a set of 4 lights from Amazon, and there are many styles to choose from. Search their site (or any vendor of your choice) for motion sensing solar lights, 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    This is not exactly an answer to your question, but I use one of these motion-activated solar-powered porch lights over the door step. I mounted it with 3M Dual Lock tape. I take it off for travel but it might not be necessary, since Dual Lock is really strong. I bought this a while ago, so you might be able to find other versions by searching for solar powered RV porch lights.

I really like the fact that it's motion-sensitive (automatically comes on when I approach the trailer and I don't need to remember to turn it off) and that it's solar powered (I don't like putting holes in the T@B walls).

https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-00028-Solar-Powered-Exterior-Motion/dp/B00JVPFI48
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    @Verna could you take a picture of your lights? Thank you. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    I've modified my T@B to remove the front tub and replaced it with a 60" tool chest and installed the LED lights linked below on the inside top lid.  They work very well for my purpose, which is to see into the tool chest at night and also to light the area in front of the trailer for hooking up or just to see around the campsite.  You see see more details about the tool chest at the link in my signature.  I think these lights might be able to be installed on the inside of the lid of the standard tubs in the same way.  Each light has its own on/off switch, so all you need to do is provide fused power.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BN1ZV12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    dsfdogs said:
    @Verna could you take a picture of your lights? Thank you. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
    I think some of those lights might be in my future...at least until I come up with some more permanent solution.

The thing that these lights don't solve is the bugs-at-night problem. I'd really like to turn a light on that is many feet away from the door so that I don't attract moths and mosquitoes every time I want to go out.
  • Options
    @Trailpixie, I have had a version of these lights for over 3 years now, and they aren’t on long enough to really attract bugs. But, they’re on long enough to allow you to check your footing to get in the door.  

There aren’t very many bugs here, so I’ll have to wait until I get back home to see how the bugs are in a more buggy location. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Sounds like Paradise @Verna!
    Verna said:
    There aren’t very many bugs here, so I’ll have to wait until I get back home to see how the bugs are in a more buggy location. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Well, @ChanW, I’ve been visiting here for 5 years with the past two years with a yearly campsite. The only downside is that it is about 100 miles to the closest town with decent shopping. Accurate grocery and shopping lists are very important!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ha! I understand! (a tad jealous)

Is that 100mi, one way?
    Verna said:
    Well, @ChanW, I’ve been visiting here for 5 years with the past two years with a yearly campsite. The only downside is that it is about 100 miles to the closest town with decent shopping. Accurate grocery and shopping lists are very important!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    I have the same light by my step as @Verna but I added amber taillight repair plastic (3M) to make the output amber. The light works really well. I attached with outdoor Velcro and it holds well even when towing.  
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    Ha! I understand! (a tad jealous)

Is that 100mi, one way?
    Verna said:

Yes, @ChanW, one way. It’s called pay the little town’s high prices for fresh veggies in between shopping trips. There is another shopping area 85 miles one way, but it’s so crowded I hate to go there!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @Verna, thanks for recommending those solar lights!  We used them in a similar manner on our first trip of the season & they were really handy.  When we were getting settled inside after dark, I realized I still needed to get something from the car.  As soon as I stepped out the door, that light came on & lit up the ground on that side.  Then as I started to walk around the tongue towards the car, another light comes on, then another, and the ground all around behind the car was nicely lit.  Since they angle down, if you hang them low, they give nice lighting to find your way without being overly bright.  It was really nice to have that hands-free lighting while carrying stuff.
    Thanks again.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods