Options

Tekonsha RF Brake Controller

DABWCADABWCA Member Posts: 70
I am planning to install a Tekonsha RF proportional brake controller for our soon to arrive T@B-L, which would allow me to avoid some tricky wiring and mounting a controller in an inconvenient spot on my KIA Sorrento dash. The RF is actually mounted on the trailer itself, with several location options. Have any of you folks used the RF and, if so, where did you mount it. A photo would be nice. Thanks!
David -- Saint Paul, MN
2015 T@B-L "Silver Dr@ggin" towed by 2015 Kia Sorento V6 "Don Poulan"

Comments

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I have one on my T@DA and think it's great.  I originally had it installed on my SS and totaled my TV on a trip while in Montana.  I had to buy a new vehicle out there and having the wireless controller was a beautiful thing in that scenario. I just plugged the vehicle unit into a 12v socket in the new vehicle, and I was good to go.  It also lets you easily switch between multiple tow vehicles if you have more than one. 

I have mine attached to the side of the tongue.  I don't have a picture on me.  The install is very simple.  The only somewhat tricky part is the pairing process.  The instructions were pretty sketchy.  Hopefully they've improved those in the three years since I bought mine.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    DABWCADABWCA Member Posts: 70
    Lisa - Thanks for the insight into the benefits of the RF. The unit can be installed on the inside or outside of the tongue, with the top facing up. Most photos I've seen show it on the outside, but a few discussions I've seen advocate mounting it on the tongue but on the inside, claiming that it's better protected from road debris. It's a little more awkward to install, so I'd be interested in your take on whether or not that would be a better way to mount it.
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
    2015 T@B-L "Silver Dr@ggin" towed by 2015 Kia Sorento V6 "Don Poulan"
  • Options
    BgkirkBgkirk Member Posts: 66
    We have it on or T@B CSS. Love it and have had no problems with it mounted on the outside. image
    Brian Kirk - 2015 T@Bulous CS-S M@x - Portland Or
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Also, Bgkirk informed me that he had to have them print another VIN sticker because the controller is mounted over the original one. My dealer emailed Dylan, today, to request a VIN sticker on each side of the T@B that I have on order. This is the controller I am going to install on it.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    BgkirkBgkirk Member Posts: 66
    Thanks Kybob. I forgot to mention that item. 
    Brian Kirk - 2015 T@Bulous CS-S M@x - Portland Or
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    My Tekonsha Prodigy is in the same place on my T@DA.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA