Weight Distribution Hitch or Not??

JbreunigJbreunig Member Posts: 25
Next week I pick up my 2020 Tab 400.  My tv is a 2017 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed with the factory tow package.  I plan on getting a Reese Sway control but do I also need a Weight Distribution Hitch?  I already have a cap on the bed which adds 300 lbs and will be carrying a couple of bikes and occasionally two kayaks on the bed of the truck along with normal gear.  Would love to hear from anyone with a Tacoma Tab 400 combo if I need a weight distribution hitch.

Comments

• gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    I have a 2019 TAB 400 and my TV is a 2018 Ford F-150 with the tow package.  My hitch is rated at 500 lbs tongue weight without weight distribution.  

I did notice my first time pulling the trailer (taking it home) that is was wiggling a little bit on the highway.  And with the tongue weight of the 2019 I know it can be in the 460-470 range from what I have seen here.  So I decided to go with the Andersen WDH hitch.

From my perspective I would rather have the extra margin of error.  To me it's liking having a seat belt and not wearing it.  It might not save your life, but are you willing to take that chance? You probably won't have time to put it on if you need it.  

Things happen really fast out on the road.  
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Outlaw82Outlaw82 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2016 Tacoma 4x4 double cab and a 2019 400. I have towed three trips totaling 500 miles. I don't have a weight distribution hitch, just an anti sway bar. I have never experienced any sway problems. I usually keep my top speed around sixty.
  • b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    Pulling a 2020 T@b400 BDL with a '16 4Runner, no sway or WDH. Don't really notice left-right sway, but do notice a sort of up-down, push-pull occasionally. Not sure if the brake controller isn't dialed in, but either way, it pulls better than I thought, and I've had no white-knuckle situations.
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado