Options

Tents

hello everyone, I recently purchased a 2015 t@b cs-s and I am excited to go on my first trip. I am looking for tent solutions for both the side and the back of my clamshell. What are you all using for tents? 

Comments

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Teardropshop.com has a "tail veil" that is says will adjust to fit different sized vehicles. I ordered a PahaQue T@B trailer tent with our T@B. I plan to buy a visor to shade the opposite side window at some point. I have a never ending list of "wants" for our T@B that will be delivered in July.  Let us know how your first trip goes. I hope to see you down the road, and happy camping.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    BlackhawkcptBlackhawkcpt Member Posts: 9
    Thank kybob, I see the tail veil on the teardrop website but I was hoping for something a bit bigger. I've seen some pics of T@Bs that have bigger tents in the back but I haven't been able to find any that describe the tent. I would like to have the extras space in the back to keep the bugs out while we eat and watch tv from the back of the trailer :) 
  • Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    I was in Julian this weekend. It POURED and was beyond windy. I had no problem cooking in my clamshell kitchen. It stays dry underneath the back panel and protected the kitchen stuff. I was looking for a tent back there before I brought the mouse house home. I no longer think I need a tent back there. So many things I bought waiting for delivery and I haven't used most of them. 
    Try to hold off buying anything until you go out a while and see if you really need them. Happy Tabbing!
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    Thanks Radren, I am glad to hear there is good rain protection back there! The only other thing I would want to keep out would be the Mosquitos while we are huddled around the kitchen eating. I think that's a great idea to hold off; perhaps one of the tents we already have will work. 
  • Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    Have you checked out the Kodiak tents? They are very durable and offer an awning between the CS door (when opened) and the tent (used for dining). I haven't gotten one yet but I will. For the same cost as the others they are very well made.
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • Options
    Thanks Lark, I will check them out for sure! which model are you considering? 
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    A Paha Que canopy should do the trick as there are other T@B owners using the 10x10 Cottonwood XLT and even the larger 12 x 12 canopy would protect the rear of the T@B unit. Wind walls can also be added to some of the canopies and that does help to knock down any wind coming at you.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Thanks Mike. It looks like the cottonwood tent even attaches to the trailer tracking; that's a great feature! I think buying the extra two panels would be great in case the kids want to use that as their tent to sleep in at night. 
  • Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    Model 6010. Check out their video. Can't wait to get mine. Great place to either sleep or set up a mosquito free dining area. It also has a 6 ft. awning for shelter between the tent and the T@B. High quality that will last.
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • Options
    Thanks Lark, let us know how well it works for you
  • Options
    Thanks Patti, does it attach to the T@B at all? 
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    I have a clamshell and would like some extra coverage in the back for cooking and dining.  Would the 10x10 Cottonwood XLT be a good choice for this setup?  I was also thinking of the visor for the door and then I would have 2 covered spaces for lounging and entertaining.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Beth, a member who had a CS loved her Cottonwood XLT for over the galley. It made her trips very enjoyable to have rain and sun coverage. You could add extra windwalls for the rainy days. I think the Visor XLT would be perfect for over the door. Check out how PXLated has used ratchet straps to pegs in the ground, instead of taking the two guy lines back to the T@B. It seems very sensible to me. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    We use our 12x12 cottonwood and love it. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    Thanks Verna and Normfun - Would the 10x10 work as well as the 12x12?  I'll definitely seek out some photos of PXLlated's setup, as I would rather ditch the guy lines, too.

Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

The 12x12 XL (what I have) gives you two foot more room (I know....duh!) that comes in handy on those super sunny or super rainy days.  The 10x10 XLT has two awnings sewn on opposite ends so you can have an awning and a side wall, if you so choose.  You can have an extra shaded area using the awning to block the late afternoon sun.  You do have to take in account that you'll want the canopy to go up to the hinge on the Clam Shell, so that would cut of about 3' of usable "floor space".  Just some food for thought. 

Personally, if I could only have one "tent", I would have the 12x12 with sidewalls, regardless of whether I had a teardrop or a T@B.  It's more versatile.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    razntwnrazntwn Member Posts: 26
    I know this is an old thread but was looking for a replacement for my tarp solution (from old tenting days) when camping in the northwest (rain rain rain) and I think the cottonwood xlt would be perfect based on the forum information.  I did a search and backcountry.com has it for $280 with free 2 day shipping in case someone was on the fence like me (30% off list).  I bought one and looking forward trying it out the next long weekend I can get out camping.