Options

Questions on installing vent fan cover

Hello all--  I purchased a vent fan cover for the fantastic fan and will need to see if a mobile guy I've used before will install it for me as I cannot do this myself.  For anyone who has installed one, is it possible for a tall man to be able to lean over from a ladder to install this without having to set-up a platform of some kind to lay across the roof?  I sure wish they could make these kinds of accessories accessible from the inside for installation.
2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
Woohoo!

Comments

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    I am relatively tall 6’5” and I installed an Aerovent hood on my 400 off a ladder. Carefully leaned over the roof and installed in about 90 minutes. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @DenisP "relatively tall"---LOL---you're like one foot, 4 inches taller than me, so, yea, you're relatively tall.  Thanks for the info--I was hoping that someone taller would have done this without having to build a platform and was able to just lean over from a ladder.
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have installed two Aeroflo vent covers. One on a Silver Shadow teardrop (not much taller than me) and on my 2014 T@B S Max. I am 5’4” and I took my time. It just takes a 6’ step ladder and move it from side to side. Follow the instructions, do not put your weight on the roof and it will look great. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    I’m just under 5’9” and I used a 3 step ladder and was able to do it by slightly leaning on the roof. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    I’m afraid of heights & get the quezy vertigo thing— don’t do ladders 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    edited August 2019
    Ikc001- my bad, I used this 4’ work platform, not a regular ladder:

‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    TallCamperTallCamper Member Posts: 2
    Hi All, I pick up my new Tab 400 in 2 weeks (1st time rv’er), so I am in heavy learning mode: why install a vent cover?
    2020 Tab 400 Boondock Lite
    Toyota Highlander XLE AWD
  • Options
    MiquelCamoMiquelCamo Member Posts: 91
    Hi All, I pick up my new Tab 400 in 2 weeks (1st time rv’er), so I am in heavy learning mode: why install a vent cover?
    It will allow you to open your vent when it's raining and you can leave it open when towing. 
    Mike and Lisa Campbell
    Springfield, MO
    2016 T@B Max S - Sold March 2020

• Options
    TallCamperTallCamper Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the insight!  Let the journey begin!
    2020 Tab 400 Boondock Lite
    Toyota Highlander XLE AWD
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @TallCamper just an FYI, before doing this you also need to consider your storage and any height limitations. I have clearance of 1.5” so installing one of these means no more shed storage. I’ve done just fine without one although I’m in the PNW. Enjoy your Tab and your new journey, and welcome to the Tab Family! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red