Options

Do i need a bigger TV

Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
Just purchasing a new 2020 T@B and plan on towering it with a 4 cylinder Porsche Macan Sport. It is rated to tow 4800lbs with brake assist but I am wondering if anyone is using this type of car. I don’t want to be crawling up the hills at 20mph as we live the pacific north west and will have mountains to deal with. Anyone pulling with anything this small? 
Kr@cken
2020 T@B 320 Boondock
Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
Clueless about everything electronic
2020 Subaru Ascent 
Bainbridge Island, Wa

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,499
    edited August 2019
    T@B 400 or T@B 320?
    How fast do you want to go?  😄

T@B speed trial
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Sorry . New to this posting stuff. A T@B 320S. Hoping to go at least 55 mph. 
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,499
    JAYDUB said:
    Sorry . New to this posting stuff. A T@B 320S. Hoping to go at least 55 mph. 
    I doubt that would be a problem but I'd be asking on a Porsche forum.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    edited August 2019
    I bet there are plenty of vehicles here with less than 250 HP that tow just fine.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,588
    More Tow Vehicle power & weight is always better IMHO.  On paper the Macan seems to meet the minimum requirements and there are lot of folks towing 320's with less powerful 4-bangers.

Bottom line factory says it can tow so you could try it then decide.

Some real-world concerns/questions might be:
     + Macan was not designed for towing as it's primary use
     + Macan does not have Trailer Sway Control System (vehicle software to control brakes and engine
       when trailer sway is detected).  Should consider a basic Sway Bar addition to the T@B tongue.
     + Does the Macan have a transmission cooler?
     + Macan does have a dual-clutch transmission - - - know they have big $$ 40K mile service needs - - -
       any web data on dual-clutch towing (maybe VW installed dual-clutch)
     + Are you planning a few weekends a year to be out with the T@B or ??? The more miles you do the
       more likely you'll be happier with a Towing Designed vehicle.
     + Macan sales ads note 4,400# tow rating then show one towing a jetski - - - bit different from
       weight and frontal area of a T@B.

And get a wireless brake controller to save fouling up the nice interior too much.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @JAYDUB ; The S model v6 Macan makes 354 ft lbs of torque versus only 274 for the non-S 4 cylinder variant.  My diesel station wagon has 280 ft lbs (rated 3950 lbs towing), and I slow down to 40-50 mph on 10% grade mountain passes, just to keep the load well under the maximum, and to keep the engine / transmission temperatures stable.

So I would guess you'll want to slow to 35-45mph on the steepest passes, but otherwise should be okay.  Definitely get a brake controller though, and perhaps a way to keep an eye on transmission temperature.  That and change drive train fluids more frequently.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    luv2travelluv2travel Member Posts: 50
    Hi- Not the same vehicle, but I have a 2015 Audi Q5, 2 liter, 4-cylinder, no diesel or anything fancy.  I tow my 2012 T@B (surge brakes) with no problem at all - 4400lbs. towing capacity. 
    2012 T@B L, 2020 Honda Passport Touring
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    It’s not a super common vehicle to tow with. I don’t think anybody on this forum has one. 

I would definitely do some research, and check vehicle specific forums.

On paper, it looks like you should be fine though.  
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    MiquelCamoMiquelCamo Member Posts: 91
    edited September 2019
    I would check out this post on the Macan forum. It looks that your car is up to the task, probably better than most small SUV's. 

https://www.macanforum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/111289-towing-travel-trailer-macan.html

Mike and Lisa Campbell
    Springfield, MO
    2016 T@B Max S - Sold March 2020

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Love the blingy  trailer hitch pictured in thread!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all your feedback. I bought my 2020 T@B yesterday and am looking forward to getting on the road. I have been reading most of the posts under all the topics and have so many of my questions already answered. As most of my travels will be solo it is reassuring that there is such a great source for information.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    @JAYDUB, adventures await. Enjoy!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
    An older thread, but have just bought a 2018 Macan and fully intend on adding a tow hich for the 320-S T@b.  I came across this combo in the internet sometime ago.  And then there is this, of course.
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    You may want to ask a dealer about putting on the hitch and brake controller.  Both of these add ons may need to be integrated into the electronics and sensors on the vehicle.  They are on my 2020 Audi SQ5 which shares a lot of the design and components with your Porsche
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
    Roger that, thanks dlb. I will be sure to check all that out.