Options

Black Water Tank Exit Pipe

I am wondering if anyone knows if the pipe exiting the black water tank is a straight pipe or if there are some bends in it . In looking at some of the products which can backflush the tank it seems that they do not work well if there are any bends in the pipe . 
On the the same topic , does anyone have thoughts on tank additives or other means to clean the black water tank ?
Evergreen PDR

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    It has a 90 degree bend in it:

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    preganpregan Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Tabaz . I guess that the backflushing devices will not be very effective .
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    Just an fyi I assume you know there is a black tank flush connection outside?
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Tundra57, the exterior black tank flush connection is only on the t@b 400. The 320's do not have one, unless you have someone crafty like @Dalehelman to modify the 320 black tank system.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    jameskuzmanjameskuzman Member Posts: 140
    @Tundra57, the exterior black tank flush connection is only on the t@b 400. The 320's do not have one, unless you have someone crafty like @Dalehelman to modify the 320 black tank system.
    I wish I could find someone crafty to make a modification that would allow me to use the black tank in my 400 as an additional gray tank. While I appreciate the convenience of a toilet - especially in the middle of the night - I could live without it. I cannot live without a decent shower in the morning, and would love to be able to use all 30 gallons of fresh water for that purpose. Instead, despite carrying 30, and I really only use 17 unless I unhitch and drive to the dump station mid-stay, or deal with the inconvenience of a portable external tank. 

Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    @pregan and @dragonsdofly there is a @Dalehelman mod and at his urging and with his blessing I modified his mod. Mine box isn’t as tidy as his, as the positioning of the vent is closer to the trim by a bit on my 2017 than his 2015. I added about 2” of cut pipe insulation, glued in with silicone calk I think to prevent back splash that he gets. It’s a simple way to get some water in both tanks via the venting pipes while you’re standing there anyway with a hose. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    @jameskuzman someone on some forum or another (it may have been this one) suggested drawing some gray water into a bucket and flushing it down your toilet if you need more room in the gray tank and don't use the black tank much. This is in the 400. It sounded like it might do in a pinch. Not sure it would help with a 17 gallon shower though, you might need a full hookup site for that! Also, isn't your shower freezing cold by then? 
  • Options
    jameskuzmanjameskuzman Member Posts: 140
    @Deb55 - Never thought of the bucket idea! In a pinch, that would absolutely work. And it’s not one 17 gallon shower - wouldn’t that be a camping luxury?! - but a series of two minute showers over the course of several days. I measured the flow from the shower to be two gallons per minutes. If two people each take a two minute shower a day and you use a bit of water for brushing your teeth, washing your hands, washing the odd dishes, etc., the gray tank would be full in four days tops, but we’d still have a good 13 or 14 gallons of fresh water left over with nowhere to put it. In campsites with shower houses you can always go that route of course, but given the choice, I’d rather shower in the camper, and if you’re a bit more off grid, then you kinda have to :-) 
    Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package