Options

Bed rails can't be installed with 2015 Alde system??

the day before picking up my S Max 2015 my dealer breaks the news that they can't install a bracket to hold bed slats (to replace the table) since it will block air flow from the new Alde system. Has anyone else had that problem?

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    WHAT? How in the world does the dealer figure that? I have a 2015-S and that makes no sense to me. Rails and slats don't block or inhibit anything any more than the table lowered to bed height.
    Betting the dealer just didn't want to mess with it. - I'm pretty sure my dealer wouldn't have installed them - if it got done, they would have subbed it out.
  • Options
    mdimdimdimdi Member Posts: 32
    edited May 2015
    I called Dylan to ask about bed rails and he told my I could order them. I think he would have mentioned if they were a problem. If your dealer is like mine, they are the problem.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2015
    When I installed our rails, it was a little tricky making them narrow enough to not block the outlet for the heat, but I was able to do it (2014 S Maxx).

I used 1/2" birch plywood for the rails (to match the Tab woodwork), and dropped the rails down enough so the table would be supported at the right height, or the 7/8" slats ("smooth-one-side" cedar), depending on which we used. (Picture attached) 

LG may have cut the vents on the 2015 model higher than they did on the 2014. It might be better to get a good finish-carpenter to do it for you.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    I added rails in my 2015 and it sort of blocked the top of the upper vent.  However, if you look inside the vent you would see the top 1/3 of the vent is already blocked by the support  brace behind it.  I planed the 1 3/4" wood I used down to not lose any venting.  
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    On our S Outback, bed slats were the first modification we did. There was just enough space between cushion bottoms and hot air slots for 1x2 cleats and 3/4" t&g slats. I thought factory worked it out perfectly.
  • Options
    keithpkeithp Member Posts: 31
    I'm thinking of adding slats to my 2015 S; any reason I couldn't use aluminum angle instead of wood for the cleats? Seems like it'd eliminate any problem with blocking the vent, although it wouldn't look as nice as birch.
  • Options
    I considered aluminum, but then thought that the aluminum might get hot and touch bare skin when sitting. 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I considered aluminum, but then thought that the aluminum might get hot and touch bare skin when sitting. 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    keithp said:
    I'm thinking of adding slats to my 2015 S; any reason I couldn't use aluminum angle instead of wood for the cleats? Seems like it'd eliminate any problem with blocking the vent, although it wouldn't look as nice as birch.
    Keith, I think you would be creating a bit of a hazard for the knees and lower legs. The angle bracket would be sticking out at just the right place to "nail" me every time!  Plus, I'm not really sure the aluminum would be strong enough to support the bed and the weight of the sleepers. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”